Update To DW20 pack for 1.10 ?

In_Real_Life

• Founder

I can easily open the new server, the main problem is the servers on 1.10 and 1.11 run on sponge and all our plugins are coded for bukkit/spigot. The platform is completely different so the only way to get them to work is to re-code all of them. I don't know how much time and effort this will take, at the first look this will require massive re-coding. I would like to open the new servers with the same features we have now. Right now I have to update few servers on Network to 1.11.2 this will only take few days after this I can start setting up the coding environment for sponge and start re-coding plugins and see what difficulties we encounter and what the sponge API has to offer.

Also question is should the new Direwolf20 server or the upcoming SkyFactory 3 modpack replace our existing servers?

Hello, Thanks for the fast reply, 

I'd say we replace it, since you've done it every time, 

Sponge and bukkit arnt all that diffrent, So, it could even be that you only have to change a bit of code, 

i know this will require some work, and i totally respect the work you put into it, so i knew it wasnt a 1day thing to get it to work.

p.s. If it comes to it, im also up for beta testing IF you need a tester. 

Greetz ~In_Real_Life

I for one would like to see it updated. We would probably get more players if we did, especially the ones who watch DW20. People are always trying to keep up with their favorite YouTubers and updating would do that.

Besides, we've stuck with it since it started, might as well keep that train (and player income) going. Replacing the 1.7 with the 1.10 will probably be good in the long run. Understandably, updating the plugins seems a challenge, but probably worth it later. The only other thing we got to watch out for though is that EULA. It currently only effects servers running 1.9 and above (from what I've heard). 

All in all, it seems like a good idea to update, and this is coming from a long-time DW20 player.

While that may be true, it's also good to learn new ways of doing things. And if that means new mods, then so be it.

Also, Shane on certain people for not updating great mods! Shame! Shame!

I'm sure it'll be just as fun, though.

Burny makes all the server plugins? 0_o That's pretty damn cool. Besides, porting code is extremely boring as you are not stimulated, the goal has been achieved, you are only crunching logic over to a slightly different set of classes. Eventually Sponge will become the standard in MC, but I understand if Burny takes his sweet time. (I personally would have just used off the self plugins and punch through multiple monitors as I try to resolve conflicts :D)

• Founder

Sponge is very different then bukkit, it's not just a bit of code, main class structure, config handlers, listeners, methods.. The only code that will not change is the part not related to minecraft. I ca easily update our plugins, the main problem is how to update some big old plugins like Essentials, Clans and Crates.  Also I'm not sure about the limits yet, but on bukkit if there was something not in the API you could use minecraft NMS code and on Sponge you cant, and the plugin is actually more like a mod.

Even if we are not sure if we will or not update. We can't update without having all the plugins updated. It's sad that they did not tried to make it easier so bukkit plugins can be ported without massive re-code, there are plugins on bukkit that took years to develop and now can't be used on sponge. But that's how the Forge community always treated bukkit, like it's not important, they never offered support for them. Probably we will end up coding a mod instead of just a plugin. We will see, I just took a deep look into the sponge api, there will be a lot of work.

• 4 months later...

Curently Brunyman working on NEW server for Direwolf20 1.10. Old DW20 will NOT be replaced.

Beta-testing will start soon (Beta-testing is already in progress), only staff members will be invited for Beta test. After this DW20-1.10 will be open for public.

Be patient.

• 2 months later...
  • Yusixs locked this topic

Archived