Allegations of Griefing and Illegal Claiming

Mboy

So I first want to introduce myself and then move to the issue at hand.In game I go by Manuel__ and I started on the server as a way to introduce some friends of mine how fun minecraft could be. I have since about 1-2 weeks ago stopped regularly playing on the server due to my migration to feed the beast. I would say my time on the server was short but enjoyable until the experience I had today. Today i came on to the server to start construction of a base i had been planning on a plot I had recently found near a Mr. Archmaestro's base. I had originally found it by flying around with my resonant jetpack and found a large building claimed and beside it 1 unclaimed chunk marked as Wilderness. Me being the person I am claimed the chunk immediately knowing that it might change the owner of the building beside the claim plans but in fairness wilderness is no mans land and whoever claims it first gains the right to its ownership but apparently because of this claim under my town saltyfirebois and a possible mistake made by the server's town border detection system I might face a unjust ban. 

My problems:

Archmaestro claims I claimed the plot of land near his land to grief when in fact I claimed to build a new base since my old base was quarried by my friends who had moved out.

He also repeatedly claims that the land that I had claimed which mind you was when he was not even online had already been claimed and I did something to illegally claim the plot. 

He rigged the area I claimed to kill me on spawn with toxic waste without having the decency to even possibly think about the fact that errors occur in games or the decency to let me properly explain my side of the issue or recieve proper compensation for the items I lost in a plot of land I technically did nothing wrong to obtain. In my eyes this is griefing. 

Conclusion:

I don't really care about the whole argument I would just want Arch to stop being such a dick and possibly for admins to step in and explain why I was able to claim a piece of land I was supposedly not able to claim. If I get banned for something I didn't do that only shows this communities true worth but what ever happens I can only accept after all its only a game. 

**I do not have screen shots or video because I dont record my gameplay and server restarted before i could snip the chat**

26 minutes ago, Mboy said:

So I first want to introduce myself and then move to the issue at hand.In game I go by Manuel__ and I started on the server as a way to introduce some friends of mine how fun minecraft could be. I have since about 1-2 weeks ago stopped regularly playing on the server due to my migration to feed the beast. I would say my time on the server was short but enjoyable until the experience I had today. Today i came on to the server to start construction of a base i had been planning on a plot I had recently found near a Mr. Archmaestro's base. I had originally found it by flying around with my resonant jetpack and found a large building claimed and beside it 1 unclaimed chunk marked as Wilderness. Me being the person I am claimed the chunk immediately knowing that it might change the owner of the building beside the claim plans but in fairness wilderness is no mans land and whoever claims it first gains the right to its ownership but apparently because of this claim under my town saltyfirebois and a possible mistake made by the server's town border detection system I might face a unjust ban. 

My problems:

Archmaestro claims I claimed the plot of land near his land to grief when in fact I claimed to build a new base since my old base was quarried by my friends who had moved out.

He also repeatedly claims that the land that I had claimed which mind you was when he was not even online had already been claimed and I did something to illegally claim the plot. 

He rigged the area I claimed to kill me on spawn with toxic waste without having the decency to even possibly think about the fact that errors occur in games or the decency to let me properly explain my side of the issue or recieve proper compensation for the items I lost in a plot of land I technically did nothing wrong to obtain. In my eyes this is griefing. 

Conclusion:

I don't really care about the whole argument I would just want Arch to stop being such a dick and possibly for admins to step in and explain why I was able to claim a piece of land I was supposedly not able to claim. If I get banned for something I didn't do that only shows this communities true worth but what ever happens I can only accept after all its only a game. 

**I do not have screen shots or video because I dont record my gameplay and server restarted before i could snip the chat**

You can't see archmaestros plots or claim plots, only his town chunks are visible.  If it's a plot you can't claim it, you assign plots from claimed land if you are the mayor.  Claiming a chunk beside a claimed building would not change the owner of the building, it would just claim the 1 chunk, and likely you would have problems claiming bigger because half the area around you is already owned, and you are not meant to claim within a radius of about 4 chunks of a town without permission.  You might even block him from claiming which is not nice, and be too close which is not nice.  You just admitted you were trying to steal the claimed house by claiming next to it, a very mean thing to do.

Is that really what happened or was there nothing claimed nearby by arch maestro because it seems like parts of the story don't make sense.  Do they?

I claimed a area of wilderness I wasn't trying to claim the house besides even if it does block 1 chunk for building on it is only 1 chunk which is easy to build around. That also doesn't justify him refusing to listen and his death trap. 

7 hours ago, QuartzWitch said:

You can't see archmaestros plots or claim plots, only his town chunks are visible.  If it's a plot you can't claim it, you assign plots from claimed land if you are the mayor.  Claiming a chunk beside a claimed building would not change the owner of the building, it would just claim the 1 chunk, and likely you would have problems claiming bigger because half the area around you is already owned, and you are not meant to claim within a radius of about 4 chunks of a town without permission.  You might even block him from claiming which is not nice, and be too close which is not nice.  You just admitted you were trying to steal the claimed house by claiming next to it, a very mean thing to do.

Is that really what happened or was there nothing claimed nearby by arch maestro because it seems like parts of the story don't make sense.  Do they?

for u to know it doesn't matter when he claims it from wilderness and also if he claimed DIRECTLY beside this other player Calim it the other players fault cuz then he disabled the mytown flag which doesn't allow others to claim nearby (4 chunks) => /mytown perm nearby  so he did nothing wrong ... sain that he would grief is mean ye but anyways he claimed nothin illegal stuff or smt like that ...

What would make you think that claiming INSIDE of my town isn't griefing ME?

You had your chance to move it. I'm not going to let you make my town unplayable because you decided to join the server and claim a chunk RIGHT UP AGAINST my town. It's obvious you did this with malicious intent. You claimed the chunk (not sure how you did this, but I am guessing _M3NGO_ changed my town permissions so you would be able to closeclaim. I did /seen _M3NGO_ and /seen Manuel__ and you got off a few hours after he did when I first noticed the chunk having been claimed) and all you did with it was write "ur gay" with marble bricks.

The least you could have done was claim somewhere a couple dozen chunks out instead of claiming right inside of my town.

The only people who would have been able to change the town permissions was _M3NGO_ or me, and I certainly didn't enable closeclaim so some random person could come by and make it so I can't claim the entire area I wanted to claim.

You can fix this right now by deleting that claim. I will remove the toxic waste and give you everything that was in that chunk back.

Just know that I gave you multiple chances to remove your town before I started taking back what was mine.

Oh and btw I lost items because you decided to claim a chunk in my town. Don't think you're the only person who has lost something due to your actions. The map is MASSIVE and you decided it was a good idea to claim inside of my town.

http://imgur.com/a/t3cYs

In the first image you can see his profanity.

In the second image, you can see a correlation between when both of these players were last seen.

In the third image, you can see what he considers "near" my base. (being surrounded by claimed areas)

If you can claim it, you can have it. Also, putting toxic waste in someone else's claim is griefing. Claiming something is not griefing. It's your town member's fault for enabling closeclaim. This is also a PvP server, so aggressive tactics like that are allowed.

I love all of you, but nothing is wrong here.

I disagree. it's wrong for someone to claim-grief. it'd be no different if I were to claim a straight line and squares across the entire map so nobody could claim and they'd be forced to live in unclaimed areas. there was an ENTIRE ocean he could have claimed AWAY from me but he decided to use a loop-hole to grief.

[19] Use common sense:

• If you have abused a 'loop-hole' in our rules, then the punishment will be decided by me [POWERWARP] with the help of the GM+'s.

loophole: "an ambiguity or inadequacy in the law or a set of rules" -> inadequacy in that the actions of another member, while not expressly illegal, caused a disruption that was not reasonable.

Edited for clarity.

You can claim a straight line across the entire map if you want. Chances are you'd get stopped by someone else's claim barrier. By the way, it's not a loophole. You could've prevented it yourself, yet you did not. He could've claimed somewhere on the other side of the ocean, but the one piece of unclaimed land adjacent to you, that you allowed him to claim by your town having closeclaim enabled, he's allowed to reside in.

On 1/12/2017 at 3:24 PM, Larry Newman said:

You could've prevented it yourself, yet you did not.

I did not allow this to happen. There's no reason for me to lie about that. I wouldn't have enabled that permission even by accident because I know what it does. There was absolutely no reason at all for that permission to have been enabled. The only other person who could have done it was _M3NGO_ as he was an assistant. The claim has since been removed. Now that you've supported grief-y tactics like that, is it ok for me to wait outside of someone's claim to kill them, while invisible? Pvp may be on but that does not make this a raiding server nor a griefing server. also, according to this logic if I were to use spatial pylons to surround someone's base with bedrock (as long as it's unclaimed) so they can't get out, would be ok. I'll remember that the next time I find a town that's one chunk. I will surround it with obsidian and toxic waste then remind people that larrynewman said that kind of tactic is ok.

or, I could use my common sense and see that kind of action is disruptive to the server and may drive out people who would have otherwise spent money on the server for perks. >99% of the people who play on this server don't use it for pvp. they treat it like a normal towny server.

remember one thing if anything from what I've said: "Just because you can, does not mean you should."

Town members join a town, then remove everything and start their own town ---> griefing.
Town members join a town, then change a permission so someone else can grief the town ---> griefing.

See the pattern here?

It's your responsibility to protect your land and the land around you. If someone manipulates your land that you've claimed with the town mod then it's against the rules. You can go ahead and wait outside of someone's town invisible and wait for them to come out, if they step into the wilderness, they're liable for whatever happens. I'd recommend not wasting time to kill someone that will yield nothing useful, but whatever floats your boat.

By the way, if you happen to find a one chunk claim, you can go ahead and surround it with obsidian and toxic waste. If any of that so much as touches a pixel of their land, it's considered griefing. This is indeed not a raiding or griefing server, and I'm sure that's the reason that they're both against the rules.

Also, just to add, I didn't make the server a Player vs Player server, I'd probably assume it was the person who owns the server that made it that way :P 

Lastly, just to state, you can do whatever you want to unclaimed bases. Chances are if it's unclaimed, the player doesn't have that good of items, so I'd recommend informing them about the proper town system. Unless you want to take their oak saplings and gold nuggets of course. 

Just remember: Wilderness = Anything Goes; Towns = Town Member Interactions Only

5 hours ago, Larry Newman said:

I'd recommend not wasting time to kill someone that will yield nothing useful, but whatever floats your boat.

The tears of noobs are always satisfying.

If someone manipulates your land that you've claimed with the town mod then it's against the rules.

Does this count putting a Modular force field within my claim and allowing it to bleed out into the claim of someone who was so careless as to claim next to/near me? I mean, common sense would say "yeah, it's affecting his claim in some unreasonable way, shape, or form. it's illegal" but I didn't place any blocks, fluids, or remove any blocks or fluids. just a mere action near their claim (in the wilderness or in my claim) that disallows movement or other reasonable operations you would expect of a town.

Lastly, just to state, you can do whatever you want to unclaimed bases. Chances are if it's unclaimed, the player doesn't have that good of items, so I'd recommend informing them about the proper town system. Unless you want to take their oak saplings and gold nuggets of course. 

Boy if I have ever seen trite, this is it.

So let's say I'm somehow able to bypass the town's system of claims (because bug abuse isn't a thing) and claim area right up on your town, despite being in the middle of the ocean with plenty of room to claim elsewhere. how would you react? You can't finish your claim, you can't re-assign plots to players,  and you don't know if that person is going to corrupt the chunk they've just claimed so every time you log on, the server crashes. pretty tough deal right there. what makes it better is this player is barely ever on. does nothing with the claimed area. its sole purpose is to keep you from claiming and force you to move.

------------------

I think we can all take away from this that the "closeclaim" flag is a useless permission and should be disabled, in the same way that the allowpvp flag was disabled. it can be substituted by inviting players into your town and assigning them their own plots and adjusting the permissions to disallow town members to modify any plots that are not theirs, or public to the town. This completely eliminates what the original poster was able to do. If it happens in the future after this permission is disabled, then it is without a doubt "bug abuse" and should be punishable.

Also, just to add, if I do make a death trap next to someone's base and they claim it, they could try and say I griefed already claimed area. You guys have no way of telling who is being truthful. I guess common sense would say "don't build death traps near peoples' bases" and "don't steal something that's obviously meant to be claimed" while claiming that building death traps in the wilderness right up against someone's town isn't against the rules. (this is what's known as a loophole - definition courtesy of google, which can also be found above)

15 hours ago, Archmaestro said:

The tears of noobs are always satisfying.

Does this count putting a Modular force field within my claim and allowing it to bleed out into the claim of someone who was so careless as to claim next to/near me? I mean, common sense would say "yeah, it's affecting his claim in some unreasonable way, shape, or form. it's illegal" but I didn't place any blocks, fluids, or remove any blocks or fluids. just a mere action near their claim (in the wilderness or in my claim) that disallows movement or other reasonable operations you would expect of a town.

A modular force field intruding into someone's claimed land is indeed griefing. The forcefield is counted as blocks.

Boy if I have ever seen trite, this is it.

So let's say I'm somehow able to bypass the town's system of claims (because bug abuse isn't a thing) and claim area right up on your town, despite being in the middle of the ocean with plenty of room to claim elsewhere. how would you react? You can't finish your claim, you can't re-assign plots to players,  and you don't know if that person is going to corrupt the chunk they've just claimed so every time you log on, the server crashes. pretty tough deal right there. what makes it better is this player is barely ever on. does nothing with the claimed area. its sole purpose is to keep you from claiming and force you to move.

(Bug abuse is a thing) Corrupting the chunk is easy to fix, just make a post for removal. It's your fault you have closeclaim enabled anyway. If the player is barely ever on, feel free to have a gm delete the base after a month of inactivity. 

I think we can all take away from this that the "closeclaim" flag is a useless permission and should be disabled, in the same way that the allowpvp flag was disabled. it can be substituted by inviting players into your town and assigning them their own plots and adjusting the permissions to disallow town members to modify any plots that are not theirs, or public to the town. This completely eliminates what the original poster was able to do. If it happens in the future after this permission is disabled, then it is without a doubt "bug abuse" and should be punishable.

The flag is pretty useful to people who want to be close by one another. But why would you want pvp in your town anyway when you can just go into the wilderness? Also, you mentioned earlier that bug abuse wasn't a thing, and now it is? Please gather your thoughts correctly.

Also, just to add, if I do make a death trap next to someone's base and they claim it, they could try and say I griefed already claimed area. You guys have no way of telling who is being truthful. I guess common sense would say "don't build death traps near peoples' bases" and "don't steal something that's obviously meant to be claimed" while claiming that building death traps in the wilderness right up against someone's town isn't against the rules. (this is what's known as a loophole - definition courtesy of google, which can also be found above)

You can't built in someone's base regardless. There's really no way someone could do that without building prior to claiming or having the town owner allow you to build there. Also, you can build whatever you want in the wilderness that isn't offensive, but as I said when it intrudes onto someone's land then it's griefing. 

Most of what you're saying is completely false. Not only is the original topic not in the correct format, but the complaint isn't even valid anyway. If anything, you should be the one making the topic. 

Anyway, this is completely ridiculous. No action. T/C

Archived