Player is afk message

Direwolf20

Idk if anyone ever noticed, but I am not afk most the time but even when I am, I don't want to spam the server with messages every time I move.  I say something and the server has to say "QuartzWitch is no longer afk" before my message.  You got to wonder if it makes people feel kinda annoyed when like 90% of the messages on chat are "Player is now afk" or "Player is no longer afk" when a. it's probably not true and b. hardly anybody even cares.

I see your point, I see a reason for this message to show up for Staff, as it is a reminder that staff is online/AFK. Saying it right now floods 90% of the chat is a bit excessive to think so, I don't see this as a big enough problem for Bruny to waste his valuable time with. There are defiently more important matters to attend to,

Yeah why is it only DW20 too, its only that server with the spammy messages.  When you go to Tekkit and Infinity it's so much better and it only says messages about gms on there.  I talked to the Infinity server and they said it would get annoying and they sometimes like to watch anime and keep stuff chunk loaded without triggering server wide messages.

Personally, I think the AFK messages are important, especially for staff like Henk said.
But i do think the time until the message shows up, could be a bit longer. It happens very often that I'm just searching in my ME and the message shows up already. then when you leave your ME or move, the other message shows up. This can be a bit annoying, but I would definitely not call it spam.

Like Henk said, It's not a big enough issue to invest time in.

Like when you go to Infinity server you check the chat and its all talking, but when you go to DW20 server, it's just afk messages 50% even when players are talking.  So I think some players might leave the server and go to Infinity or Tekkit just to escape the spam (there is no way to ignore it) also it only is 1 line of code so I think it hardly takes any time to disable it.

You see, most people ignore it. You don't. Besides, people are far more talkative on tekkit and IE, and so the afk messages are much fewer than on dw20, a practically silent server. What we should be arguing for, however, is increasing the amount of time before it announces that you are afk. Currently, i believe it's at two minutes, and could be increased to 4 or even five minutes. After ten minutes, most people get kicked for afk. For staff and donors, they don't get kicked for afk, and so the messages for them are even more relevant. The amount of afk messages you see also depends on the number of people playing on the server at one time. Considering the plethora of other messages, announcements, reminders, and chat messages, I'm surprised you see it that often.

The true spam message, however, is the thaumcraft named special mob death messages from all the mob grinders running. Find a way to turn those messages off, and we will be golden. 

If it supposed to tell you you are gonna get kicked, why does it broadcast to the whole server?  I think players need a way to turn this off to remove that useless feature.  It reminds me of an alarm clock when it just buzzes whenever I am just chilling in my base.  Not only that, it discourages talking because it scrolls the screen down making it hard to see what players were talking about...

8 hours ago, QuartzWitch said:

If it supposed to tell you you are gonna get kicked, why does it broadcast to the whole server?  I think players need a way to turn this off to remove that useless feature.

As I tried to make clear in my first post, the AFK message is not useless and often very important. for example, I'm a helper myself on DW20, and it happens quite often that someone asks me a question or a forum link that I have to find online. when I'm doing this I can't pay attention to other questions in chat in the mean time. The AFK message prevents people from spamming the chat with questions that won't be answered. Then when the message shows up that I'm no longer AFK they ask their questions.
This is not only helpful for me so I don't have to scroll back searching for questions, but it also keeps chat clean.

This is also the case with player to player chat. If someone sees the message that the player they wanted to talk too is AFK they are much less likely to spam the chat trying to reach that person. This, again, keeps chat clean.

So even tho you might think the AFK message is spam, just think about how much spam it prevents.

• Henk locked this topic

Archived