Server Wipe Coming Soon?

Exploded_Pasta

I apologize for the long post but I have no shorter way to explain.

I started playing this server 5 days ago and have been reading through the forums and testing different things to see if I like it here (so far it looks awesome which is why I am posting) I am coming from another server that is no longer there. I had around 600 hours on this server (Tekkit Classic Reborn official server) and I ran the second largest town (Industrial Park) with max population at 28 at one point though the max online at a time was about 6. I was basically the moderator for those players in my town and the land around it I spent my days improving the town and helping the new players and always managing lag which was never a problem and anytime I needed further help I would get one of the admins or mods. Doing that was the funnest time I've ever had with this game and I've been playing since I was 18 and I'm 24 now. The only reason I stopped is the server needed to be reset and when they got the new world up it was extremely broken and a month later they took it down and its been out for months and will be for many more so I am re locating and starting new. I would like to do something similar on the server and I have a few questions.

1. Based on what I said do you think this server would be a good fit for me to make a similar town?

2. If yes to #1 should I wait for a wipe to start building anything? (I plan on being with the server the whole time and only using survival)

3. If the wipe is not for a few months could I save structures and or some inventory for the new world?

4. too much mycelium

well the server is up for 6 months now. the normal period for a wipe is 6 months but since this is IE on expert mode where everything takes longer we are not sure if this normal period also will apply on IE ... i guess that's up to brunyman, mostly he will make a poll about a server wipe so yeah :) we can't actually say when the wipe will happen ....

and well u can create a town like u did that's up to u but keep in mind u can get griefed in such a huge town so be carefull who u invite...

Yeah I had some grief problems with the town I usually had the admin do a rollback if it was bad or just fix it myself and report to staff but it was worth to meet all the good people. I would also be willing to help tear down old towns to extend the life of the server if its lag that eventually kills it. the tcr one ran for about 2 years but didn't have as many people and less than half the mods. Its looks like this one started on december 20th so it'l only be 5 months in 4 days so at the 6 month rate I've got a month. If thats the case should I wait to start building or can my progress be saved for the new world?

As i seen so far, there was no big complains about world get mined out, or littered at point it get unplayable. That means wipe is not so needed. Nevertheless, as Imperatus sayed, It`s up to community votes, and Brunyman. Personaly I think you have more then 3 months, maybe even more, because most of the players will not want to lose all theyr (Long and pinfull) progress only because a Wipe, and they will postpone wipe for as long as possible.

As for building huge town in FTB Infinity server. This modpack in Expert mode, that means you will progress MUCH harder.

Maybe you should take a look at Direwolf20 server?

It got wiped not so long ago, and curently at peak of popularity. Also, this modpack WAY easyer.

I believe that Infinity does need a wipe. As someone who actually does play on IE, and has actually been on it lately, I've noticed that restarts have become much more common and necessary. The TPS often drops to unacceptable levels, and the number of end-game bases have become too numerous. All those bases cause TPS drops as well. Not only that, but there is far too much mushroom island. 

The number of players has also increased, and that causes more bases to be built, causing more TPS drops. IE frequently gets below 10 TPS, which is more than half of the normal amount of 20 TPS. There are creative and end-game bases all around, some of them not even claimed, and people take end-game and creative items from those bases. The server is definitely in dire need of a wipe. I don't think we have a month left of server stability, let alone three months, because the server is unstable today, and has been for quite some time.

We very much need a server wipe.

@Exploded_Pasta, not to worry, server wipes are tame and fine here, the servers don't become unstable after them, quite the opposite, really. No need to worry on that end. And yes, in a wipe, everything gets cleared. Money, inventory, and towns. But not ranks, those transfer over.

Well if it is indeed going to be wiped soon I can wait I'll just keep an eye on the forums so I can be there day one unless I'm working. I'll stick with this server I don't mind it being harder since I will be

doing this with my brother and hopefully we meet some people who wanna join the town early to help build. I guess my only gripe is the wipes happening so frequently. I would be willing to check on

towns and bases for inactivity to cut back on lag. I will be doing it with my town as/if people leave. I know it is inevitable with all the mods and people on the server and with our own bases eating up

resources as well but it would be nice to at least get a solid 9 months out of a world. I'll still play if its 6 months just wanted to throw that out there.

Okay I think it's time to voice my opinion.

But first who am I and why should you care? I've joined InfinityEvolved back in december together with my buddy Granaz and I'm currently 3rd in time played (YOLO). We are basically at the point where we could craft creative cells and tanks. I love this entire project, I love this community and I really have to thank Bruny and all the others who are investing so much of their free time to make this even possible. But I really think that a wipe will not be a lasting solution without changes to the current situation.

I'll bring up some points now and explain why, in my opinion, changes should be made. The fact that the server is barely running for 6 months and is almost unplayable at times thanks to some bases  clearly shows the need for changes. A server running expert mode should not have to be wiped after 6 months, as people allready noted things take a lot of time. And now that the server has grown in popularity it will take even less time to reach the current state.

1. rftools nether ore dimlets should be banned

This one is easy, some nether ores will cause extreme lag when farmed with a quarry. I just tested that today and the server went down to 2tps within seconds.

These nether ores really are nothing special and not having a dimension full of them would not hurt anyone.

2. no creative lava tank for free

Most people probably don't know this but there is still a way to use lava for energy production on a large scale in early game. This enables people to reach endgame way faster and the map will be clustered with creative bases within a few months again--->wipe.

You can literally have tens of thousands rf within a few hours of playtime. I won't tell anyone how so don't even try to pm me about it. The machines necessary for this let's call it exploit are crucial for another mod and therefore removing them is not an option. Lava fabricators are quite easy to get early game and will provide more than enough lave for crafting purposes.

3. certain items should not be traded between players

I'm talking about mid to lategame items which will allow the player to skip a large part of this modpack and reduce the time needed to reach endgame/creative bases--->wipe

-ic2 Iridium ,a stack of this is needed to craft the Certus Quartz Wrench. Getting iridium usually requires days of ic2 pain and just buying a stack simply enables you to skip the entire mod

-Quartz Wrench or ME-controllers, same as above

-any kind of solar generators, large amounts of energy are a premium feature and should be earned. Solar generators require no fuel and can therefore be used by any newbie who just joined 1hour ago. This also will let you skip many stages of content and can literally ruin the entire fun of playing this modpack. (Jep, I heard someone just say that buying an ultimate solar panel basically ruined his passion and I agree.)

This list could easily be longer but you should get my point.

4. ban nether star generators

This one is a bit controversial. Basically nether star gens are quite easy to get and produce large amounts of energy, I get that. BUT! In order to run these you will need spawners for wither skeletons. And there lies the problem. For months we're having the problem that the server automatically despawns mobs because of too much lag. Just count the number of "ohh my gawd my resurrected dragon despawned, pls refund-threads" in the forum.  

In my opinion spawners should be used to get crafting materials, not for easy power generation. I'm using multiple t3 spawners aswell but all of them are controlled by level emitters via Me network and will shut down 95% of the day. There are more ways to generate steady amounts of power that will not kill the server. And no, I'm not talking about beef wellington.

5. just some random s**t

Excessive use of itemducts from thermal dynamics and similar animated blocks like item translocators will unnecessary wreck the average PC's fps. Warp itemducts ,Item conduids and ender chests are not that hard to get, don't be lazy guys :). I personally don't know how this affects the server thats why this is down here.

So yeah, don't hate me, think about it :)   

#makeinfinityevolvedgreatagain

12 minutes ago, UnplayedNamer said:

1. rftools nether ore dimlets should be banned

This one is easy, some nether ores will cause extreme lag when farmed with a quarry. I just tested that today and the server went down to 2tps within seconds.

These nether ores really are nothing special and not having a dimension full of them would not hurt anyone.

If they cause immense lag, yes they can be banned. However we won't ban items for purely being overpowered... which is whyyyyyy 

13 minutes ago, UnplayedNamer said:

4. ban nether star generators

Is a no.
There will always be alot of spawners ingame, heck if we nerf this people will just make spawners to make galgadorian metal instead, or enderpearls for RFTools.

13 minutes ago, UnplayedNamer said:

3. certain items should not be traded between players

This is difficult to enforce but we're working on some sort or restriction or rule for the economy. Probably will end up being a limit to what you're allowed to sell resources for (diamonds, gold, tin, copper etc.) and then use common sense for high-end machines like quarries and ME systems. 

14 minutes ago, UnplayedNamer said:

2. no creative lava tank for free

This is a feature that we have on all our servers and it's something that symbolizes Craftersland, same as the legendary and vote crates. Heck Bruny even worked for 3-4 days to make vote crates happen on our new server just because that's the thing that makes the server feel like Craftersland. I don't think that there would be a change to the lava/water tank as the ender tank itself is quite difficult to craft, it's not like they can get it day 1.

17 minutes ago, UnplayedNamer said:

5. just some random s**t

Excessive use of itemducts from thermal dynamics and similar animated blocks like item translocators will unnecessary wreck the average PC's fps. Warp itemducts ,Item conduids and ender chests are not that hard to get, don't be lazy guys :). I personally don't know how this affects the server thats why this is down here.

It doesn't affect the server as much as it affects you, however it's a good rule of thumb to know that if you're lagging the server is probably hurting too, unless there's some corrupt texture that's causing lag. We can't restrict these items, it can only be put as a recommendation out to the players, but really there are worse blocks in IE for lag than these. 

• Founder

Note that when we opened this server we had a lot (crazy amount) of dupe bugs, most of them are fixed and other issues will get fixed before the WIPE to prevent issues we had on this map, So when we will plan the WIPE we will also look into fixing some issues before. We will post details when time will come to plan the WIPE, we will first open a vote pool and you will be able to vote for or against WIPE. Until then you can play without worries, if we will WIPE we will also provide a world download link.

Seems like too many rules what Unplayed has.  I like the way it was when Imperatus could sell 1000 blocks of diamonds for 100$ and AncientWyvern too.  If someone buys it it's their fault for feeling bad and their games ruined.  They can after all throw away the items or not use.  We shouldn't have to restrict free trade to protect the feelings of them.  Anyways in my shoes I want to be able to buy 1000 blocks of diamonds for 100$ but I can't now because those players got issues.

As for restrictions the items it kinda makes the mod pack cease to be the one players signed up for.  We already got the creative items restricted which limits players endgame options.

• Henk locked this topic

Archived