Weekly Server reset breaks lots of things.

Hello

While you are probably aware that the server resets Refined Storage once a week (sometime on Friday I think), a bunch of other things are also being affected. I've already  posted about the Immersive Engineering wires being deleted - that wasn't such  a big problem, hardly anyone uses them. But there's a bunch of other things affected, such as the monodirectional controllers from  integrated dynamics and - more importantly - the matter receiver from RFtools. Both blocks don't work until they are broken and re-laid. But in the case of the matter receivers that generate in the Rftools dimensions, this means there's no longer a way to access the dimension.

I've now discovered an even bigger headache: my Train (from Create) has been deleted. If this happens weekly, this makes a major (and really cool) feature of that mod quite difficult to use.

I guess my question is: is there any way to make the server more selective in what data it resets, or are the current settings an essential part of the Server maintenance?

• Founder

Hi, thanks for posting.

I changed the maintenance script to not remove refined storage stuff integrated dynamics, rftools and Create data.

I will also try to only clean Immersive Engineering once a month, the way the mod was designed it will load machines more and more in time and lag the server, if monthly will not be enough we may need to keep the weekly cleanup.

Same with Refined Storage, when it becomes buggy we may have to reset it.

Let us know if data is still being lost.

Cool. Thanks for following this up. Even if you only excluded the rftools and create mods from the reset, that would be most of the problem solved. The other mods you mentioned all have alternatives you can use, but no other mod has trains, and the fact that the rftools dimensions seem to be protected means you can't set up an alternative scheme for reaching them.

For what it's worth, I think resetting Refined Storage is definitely a good idea. As recorded on an earlier post, I've discovered the hard way what happens when you don't reset Refined Storage (I used external storage to avoid the weekly reset, my base got more and more laggy until one day all my stuff was gone). Clearly RS has big problems, in the week before my stuff deleted, about half of my teleports to my base would crash the server.

It is disappointing to hear that Immersive Engineering has such a design flaw, but there are plenty of alternatives for energy transport. If resetting data on that mod is necessary to avoid lag, I can use different wires. Better than causing unnecessary lag for everyone.

Integrated dynamics is one to watch. As far as I'm aware, only myself and one other player have used it for storage. It's possible it might have similar problems to RS - but let's hope not. I'll keep you posted. I've been experience unusual lag for the last few days, all my machines and mobs are moving/running in slow-motion. But it's not just in my base, so the source is difficult to confirm.

Thanks for the help.

Sorry I've just realised I didn't say what Server I'm in. It;s the DireWolf20 1.19 server, and the data reset doesn't appear to have changed. The same stuff has been reset. Has something not worked or were you forced to revert to the previous settings?

On a positive note, that RFtools dimensions appear to no longer be protected, so at least we are able to set up different teleporters to retain access to them. Do these dimensions that we can create get reset like the Nether does?

Edit: Integrated Dynamics data is no longer reset, so something has changed. Immersive Engineering and RFtools were still reset, not sure about Create.

Edited by Banksia Slayer
New Info

Rftools dimensions only protected upon creating them. And by the first restart the protection is gone. (Also if the same id has been created before then by the next time that id is used again it wont have a first time protection).

And also yes rftools dim should also reset

OK, thanks for clarifying. So that means that any other teleport system we add in the dimension will be deleted when it's reset: that complicates things. Do you know roughly how often these dimensions are reset? Are we talking days, weeks, or months? I still don't understand why the matter recievers are broken when the Friday data reset happens, but Bruny's changes didn't fix that.

I'll have to make another train, see if they still get deleted.