Ubuntu Is Tough

dagger 2016

First, to properly check if your system is running on 32-bit or 64-bit, open a terminal and do file /sbin/init, this will tell you if your system runs 32-bit or 64-bit.

Next, do java -version to confirm that you don't already have java installed.

If you have java installed then you're good to go.

Otherwise, do sudo apt-get install openjdk-7-jre (still in the terminal), you will need to enter your password.

Then, to be able to use java in the browser do sudo apt-get install icedtea-plugin.

If for some reason you can't install either of these packages, do sudo apt-get update and confirm whatever it asks you to do, then try again.

Now, to run the minecraft jar for example, rightclick it and go to the Permissions tab, then check Allow executing file as program.

You should be able to run the jar now by just (double)clicking it.

I hope this helps.

alright then,

Press Ctrl+Shift+T to open the terminal

type

sudo passwd root 

enter a desired root password

now type

su 

and the root password to access the elevated terminal

now create a Java directory by typing

mkdir -p /usr/local/java

now navigate to the Java folder 

cd /usr/local/java

download the tar.gz tarball from the official Java website

wget http://download.oracle.com/otn-pub/java/jdk/8u77-b03/jre-8u77-linux-x64.tar.gz

uncompress it

tar -xvf jre-8u77-linux-x64.tar.gz

now move the directory over to the /usr/lib

mv jre1.8.0* /usr/lib/jvm/jre1.8.0

now check how many Java versions you have

update-alternatives --config java

you will get something like this:

There are 2 choices for the alternative java (providing /usr/bin/java).

Selection Path Priority Status
————————————————————
* 0 /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/bin/java 1061 auto mode
1 /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/bin/java 1061 manual mode
2 /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/java 63 manual mode

Press enter to keep the current choice[*], or type selection number:

remember the last number shown, in this case 2, and press Ctrl+C to terminate the task

now add your new Java installation to the list, the number must be bigger by 1 that your last show one, in this case the number was 2 so i wrote 3

update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/java java /usr/lib/jvm/jre1.8.0/bin/java 3

now set the new Java install as the default one

update-alternatives --config java

you will get an output like this, choose the number you put in the previous command

There are 3 choices for the alternative java (providing /usr/bin/java).

Selection Path Priority Status
————————————————————
* 0 /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/bin/java 1061 auto mode
1 /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/bin/java 1061 manual mode
2 /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/java 63 manual mode
3 /usr/lib/jvm/jre1.8.0/jre/bin/java 3 manual mode

Press enter to keep the current choice[*], or type selection number: 3
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/jvm/jre1.8.0/jre/bin/java to provide /usr/bin/java (java) in manual mode.

now you can check your Java version

java -version

First, to properly check if your system is running on 32-bit or 64-bit, open a terminal and do file /sbin/init, this will tell you if your system runs 32-bit or 64-bit.

Next, do java -version to confirm that you don't already have java installed.

If you have java installed then you're good to go.

Otherwise, do sudo apt-get install openjdk-7-jre (still in the terminal), you will need to enter your password.

Then, to be able to use java in the browser do sudo apt-get install icedtea-plugin.

If for some reason you can't install either of these packages, do sudo apt-get update and confirm whatever it asks you to do, then try again.

Now, to run the minecraft jar for example, rightclick it and go to the Permissions tab, then check Allow executing file as program.

You should be able to run the jar now by just (double)clicking it.

I hope this helps.

First of all  I want to thank you guys for helping me out briefly.Second I tried to check out on which my system was running on I typed in my command but it said "The file path does not exist" I tried installing java ignoring that but it kept on saying "[404 error] [My ip address ]".If you could tell me the solution i'd be more than happy.

First of all  I want to thank you guys for helping me out briefly.Second I tried to check out on which my system was running on I typed in my command but it said "The file path does not exist" I tried installing java ignoring that but it kept on saying "[404 error] [My ip address ]".If you could tell me the solution i'd be more than happy.

Just follow cybereagle's instructions, i'm no ubuntu user anymore and it could be that things have changed

Archived