A Really Long Post About A Simple Thing

rmtworks

Hi everyone! Normally I'd be here to write a cheerful post about what's new in World Automation or about a new suggestion for the server, but today's topic is going to be radically different.

Some people will rejoice when reading this, some people will be upset, and others still may follow in my footsteps. So, let's dive right into it: I'm retiring from CraftersLand. If that's all you care about, there's really no need to read the rest of this, because I'm going to just explain my decision and where I'm going from here.

I've been around here since June of last year, and things were really quite different for me. I was looking for a place to play Minecraft with the company of peers, and I stumbled upon CraftersLand Tekkit. I really had a great time, when staff came around I was always looking forward to the next rank up and new commands. I stuck with Tekkit across more than a few wipes, and with each wipe, it felt like my attitude and responsibilities changed. No longer was I playing a version of Minecraft with the company of others - instead, I was no longer playing, and only helping and taking care of issues. That wasn't my goal in playing around here.

I created World Automation with the hope of relieving my boredom and reinvigorating myself into the ways of old. And it did work - for a while at least - until once again, responsibility took over fun.

For those who haven't staffed, being a staff member is difficult. You sacrifice your free time to volunteer and assist others. It's a good experience to have, but it's worth noting how things change over time. As you move up in ranks, you learn the staff you want to be around, and those who you don't. You learn how every staff member has a different perspective - not a wrong perspective, but another perspective you have to consider in your actions. 

You have to understand your own biases with players, as well as other staffs', and figure out the right thing to do in almost every situation on the server. You always make mistakes along the way, and the challenge is to learn from them and to become a more fair and just staff member through them.

And so I did, for a year now. However, the exhaustion and burnout of staffing is getting to me, and it's time for me to take a break - whether permanent or not, I have not decided yet. I can no longer give my 100% to this community, and that's the line I've drawn that shows it's time for me to depart.

Thank you for reading, and thank you to everyone who influenced me along the way. I've watched myself - and numerous others - grow and change over the past year. Thank you CraftersLand, I'm signing off.

-rmt

PS: World Automation development will continue as normal. Heck, I'll probably still be around on the server. New update every 3 weeks. However, I won't be checking the forum for issues to fix and to provide support often. I'll be relying on GitHub now, so if players have issues with the pack itself that need to be fixed, I likely won't see them in a timely manner unless they are posted here: https://github.com/rmtworks/WorldAutomation/issues

I am with rmtwork on this topic as well, I am also retiring today. Staffing has been fun with you all, regardless if you all were a staff or not. However as I continued over time, the amount of tasks one has to do builds up, and to me, it seems relentless and tiring.

Sad to see you both go. Especially RMT (since I play purely WA as of now). Great work for the community. I am excited to see WA in a GitHub repository. Which means almost instant launcher updates for my niche CL Launcher. :D

In all seriousness though, I am kinda sad. :/

I will name a terminator after you. 

Godspeed. 

Even though I didn't know you that well, it's sad to see you go :( thank you for everything you did for the community, and I hope you'll have a good life and all ;) I'm pretty sure if you ever wanted to come back, you will be able to, so long! :)

Epilogue: I talked with Powerwarp this morning, and at the very least, I will be retiring from Tekkit. It's been a great run for the past year, but catching dupers using the same machine every week is not that exciting and fun :P For now, I will keep my rank on World Automation since, as you'd guess, I am needed around to help out there since I am the main developer of the pack. Like I said at the end of my first post, World Automation development will continue like normal, however I won't be on the forums as frequently, and it's better to reach me on Skype/at the GitHub repository I linked to above. It is hard for me to say goodbye to all of you, so for now I'm going to instead scale back what I'm doing around here, especially since my work in real life is picking up significantly. Thanks for reading everyone.

I am with rmtwork on this topic as well, I am also retiring today. Staffing has been fun with you all, regardless if you all were a staff or not. However as I continued over time, the amount of tasks one has to do builds up, and to me, it seems relentless and tiring.

Thanks for everything you did, sad to see you go, you're welcome back anytime if you just want to take a break.

Archived