Login/Character Wipe problem

So when I first started i joined the server and logged in. I had my two books and that was it.

I had my skin on and went out to start the game. I played for several hours and live din a small dirt hut where i gathered some items and got my initial 20 vote keys (server bonus week)

I set a home and made a claim though I did not record where.

I then logged off for the night. The next time I logged in I was back to square one. I had no skin, the two books, nut now I also had a golden shovel and a claim stick.

This issue has not happened again since and I am worried it may happen again (plus I would like the stuff i lost back but it is minor.)

After this, I was setting up my sisters account and tested this issue.

I did the register and it let me in. I had her skin, and she had both books.

Then I logged out for a while and waited. Then logged back in and now I had no skin both books and the claims tick and shovel. 
SO far it seems that new players must register and then log out for a while and then back in before they start playing because any progress made at the start before that will be erased.

Other players have also had this problem and it would be nice to know more of what is going on with it.