The Skeleton War

quagma

Q: What is the Skeleton War?

A: The skeleton war will be a series of images that I have drawn, depicting different scenes of the Skeleton War, and the skeleton's fight against various monsters, creeps, and spooks. It will have a story line, but will mostly be a variety show of the lives of the skeletons, and their battle against everything that's not them.

Q: When is it?

A: The skeleton war begins the first day of October.

Q: How long will it last?

A: The skeleton war will continue all through October, with the finale around the last day of the month.

Q: I'm spooked, will you give me a hug?

A: Aw, sure thing buddy! *hugs* (>^_^)> <(^.^<) *hugs*

Try your best not to think of the very spooky skeleton that's already inside you!

​I will be posting each new skeleton war update on this page.

SKELETON WAR DAY ONE:

Why, hello there! So you've just been recruited into our little regiment for the skeleton war. My name is CharSkull, probably because my head is always on fire. Get yourself settled in, and get ready for spookiness all month long, as we battle spooks, creeps, monsters, the undead, and the living. This is our main headquarters here in the cave. Don't trip on any spirits on the way out.

scan0006_orig.jpg

link: http://superheroesonly.weebly.com/comicblog/the-skeleton-war-day-1

SKELETON WAR, DAY 2

Ah! You've gotten settled in, then! Better introduce you to Dr. NumbSkull, who seems to be in a hurry. His work is always in a near-explosion state, so you might be hearing booms from time to time. Dr. NumbSkull is our resident bonehead, and works in research and development. He makes all our machines, weapons, and if anybody lets him, crazy strategies for winning. Hang on, might want to take cover for a bit, I hear shouting in the distance, and there's a nasty looking glow on the far walls, and that usually means-- 

[CONTENT OBSCURED BY EXPLOSIONS]

[MAGICAL SMOKE AND ELECTRICAL SPARKS SWIRL AROUND, FURTHER OBSCURING CONTENT]

[OH MY GOODNESS, IT'S EVERYWHERE]

[THERE ARE SOME SMALLER AND MORE SCATTERED EXPLOSIONS]

[THE MESS IS HUGE, AND YOU CAN'T SEE THE REST OF THE TEXT]

scan0007_orig.jpg

http://superheroesonly.weebly.com/comicblog/the-skeleton-war-day-2

SKELETON WAR, DAY 3

Having exploded the bugs out of the system, Dr. NumbSkull has decided to finalize the testing of just one of his many devices. It's night time, the perfect time to test out his BoneGun Tanker Mk. II on the firing range. It works beautifully. However, it's always a good idea to duck for cover when magical explosions are firing in the field, and especially a good idea when Dr. NumbSkull is test firing. It does seem to have spooked some of the spirits haunting the fields, though. 

scan0008_orig.jpg

SKELETON WAR, DAY 4

We battled the vampires today. Understandably, they didn't like it, and nearly overpowered us until we brought out our BoneZone ClawTank Mk. IV (pat. pending), and just wiped em out. Skellies rose from the ground in sneak surprise attacks, and bones littered the battlefield. The vampire's attacks were futile on our hard, calcium enriched bodies. Remember, kids, to always eat your calcium! Finally, in the smoking wreckage of the field, we had discovered not one vampire left. They likely will not return to this area for another year.

Total Tally

Skeletons: 1

Everything Else: 0

scan0010_orig.jpg

Skeleton War, Day 5

An orc got in the base today. We had a competition to see who could take it out first, and of course Mr. SkellyBones got it first. He got extra calcium rations as a reward. 

(You wanted those extra calciums. You wanted them so bad)

(You would have done anything for those extra calciums.)

(But no, Mr. SkellyBones got it first)

(LIKE HE ALWAYS DOES)

(You swear he's got an in with the commander somehow. Maybe it's because he's related?)

s5_orig.jpg

SKELETON WAR, DAY 6

Ah, the wonders of magitech. Dr. NumbSkull, in one of his rarer non-exploding moments, ponders how best to fight the war, and maybe make some scientific discoveries while he's at it. Nothing much exciting here, though the possibility of an explosion grows ever more likely with each passing moment.

The tension is palpable.

You could probably scoop it with a spork.

s6_orig.jpg

SKELETON WAR, DAY 7

Today was an extremely slow day. We battled the boredom by playing Find The Skull. We used Mr. SkellyBones's skull, of course, as revenge for taking the bounty in the Orc Intrusion a couple days back. We hid his skull in some expired calcium.

Nobody will find him there for ages yet.

That's what he gets for rubbing his extra calcium in our faces.

s7_orig.jpg

SKELETON WAR, DAY 10

There was not much to report for a couple of days, due to traveling in the loneliness of space, as we made our way to the moon to fight moon monsters. Our travel agency is the Department of Ossified Travelers, aka DOOT. It was a sort of rush call, and we may have left our headless "friend" behind, still trying to play "Find the Skull" and bumping into walls.
We will set up base here, and prep ourselves for further engagements.

I wonder if my skull will flame here.

It's magic, so it ought to, right?

Otherwise all the air would've gone from the cabin, and air pressure still reads normal.

I always heard it's dangerous to have fire in an enclosed space. Maybe that's why they had me wear a helmet this whole trip?

Whatever. I, CharSkull, will show these space spooks what fire can really​ do!

s10_orig.jpg

SKELETON WAR, DAY 11

Well, since we are still setting our lunar base, I decided to pose dramatically. 

They are still making me wear the helmet. Both inside and outside the base.

I don't understand it. Do we even breath? Do we really need air?

s11_orig.jpg

Skeleton War, Day 13

Spent yesterday getting my spacesuit retrofitted. Turns out they were saving and building up the magical fire constantly burning on my skull. They've channeled it into a sweet flamethrower, and set me up as their secret weapon of the day.

Turns out the creatures I'm fighting are fire demons, and the only way to fight fire is with more fire. Don't worry, it all makes sense, it's magic. Magic is what magic does.

s13_orig.jpg

SKELETON WAR, DAY 14

Well. I may have gotten a little too eager with my flame war, and now the whole moon is on fire, and I may have burned a neat little skull face into it, too.

On the whole moon.

Probably visible from Earth.

Woops.

Yeah, that's my bad. It's magical fire, too, so it's probably not going out anytime soon.

s14_orig.jpg

SKELETON WAR, DAY 15

When we returned from the moon, we found the base was a mess, and Mr. SkellyBones (both skull and body) were nowhere to be found. Probably something got in, and took them both.

Of course, since I lit the moon on fire, it's my job to clean up the caves.

I probably totally deserve it.

They wanted me to take off my awesome space suit, but I really like it.

Besides, this way I can keep all that dust and cobwebs from getting in my bones.

s15_orig.jpg

SKELETON WAR, DAY 18

After deep cleaning down in the caves, I came up to find the rest of the troops puzzling over a patch of pumpkins that sprouted up overnight.

They're unsettling.

We were all pretty spooked out by these face pumpkins, so we decided to kind of just leave them be for the nonce.

They're all smiling, and I think one of them's winking at me.

s18_orig.jpg

SKELETON WAR, DAY 19

Well, those face pumpkins were really creeping us out, so we decided to just throw a cover over them and hope for the best. Mr. BoneyBoots oversaw the project, while I went back to deep cleaning the caves. Hopefully I'm nearly done with that.

Covering up your problems always works, right?

s19_orig.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

SKELETON WAR, DAY 28

Apparently sweeping our problems under the proverbial rug wasn't a good idea.

We'd just come back from battling frankenmonsters, killer clowns, two very angry dinosaurs, and a partridge in a pear tree to find that the dome we used to cover up the face pumpkins wasn't adequate at all.

They seem to have agglomerated into one giant pumpkin and vine monster. Dr. Numbskull got very excited about that, and has gone off to experiment some with the effects of bottling up magic. 

I tried telling him that bottling it up and preventing leakage tends to concentrate magic, and make it more powerful, much like my escapade with the burning moon. I also tried telling him that he already knew about it, since he's the one who outfitted me with the firesuit on the moon, and he just shouted something about "verification" and "field analysis". I don't think he's coming out of his laboratory any time soon.

s28_orig.png

SKELETON WAR, DAY 29

Well, we finally managed to defeat the giant face pumpkin, and just when we did, something new popped up. A giant skull, encased in one of those little ghastly souls that are always around.

Usually they're always underfoot, and, come to think of it, we haven't really been seeing many of them lately. I guess this is where they went. Strange I didn't see any of this while deep cleaning the caves, though.

The giant skull has announced itself. Turns out it's the disembodied head of Mr. SkellyBones, the guy we played "Find the Skull" with before leaving for the moon. We left him here, and he must have made a big mess before combining with the ghastly souls to make this unholy conglomeration. 

And now he's created a mega-huge thunderstorm. What's worse, we have very little left to fight him with, since we just got through defeating the face pumpkin. Dr. NumbSkull is still in his lab studying trapped magic, and I still don't have my firesuit. I suspect the pumpkins were meant to be a distraction while Mr. SkellyBones gathered his power.

This is looking to be a very tough battle, and unless we figure out something good, it might be a long battle as well.

s29_1_orig.png

SKELETON WAR, DAY 30

Dr. NumbSkull finally came out of his lab today with a new device he calls the Magical and Electrical UltraCompressor/Concentrator Capture and Release System. Apparently he was too excited to come up with his usual kind of name. He claims the MEUCCCRS (the men call it the Mucus) concentrates natural magical and electrical fields to produce massive amounts of energy, which it releases as energy beams. Hopefully this is the weapon we've been needing to win against this ghastly skull.

Speaking of ghastly, these souls are absorbing the essence of our men and adding the energy to Mr. SkellyBones. Luckily calcium can revive fallen skeletons, but our stores are dangerously low. Mr. SkellyBones must have absorbed a lot of it to grow to his current size. 

Outlook is uncertain, and time is running short. We can't hold up much longer, although the new weapon does help increase our odds.

Sure wish I had my firesuit, though.

s30_orig.png

SKELETON WAR, DAY 31

We... We beat him...

I have no clue how we did it, but we did it...

It was difficult, and most the men were down for the count, and the MEUCCCRS was nearly destroyed, and I still couldn't find my firesuit, and we nearly ran out of calcium, but we did it, and just in time too, it seems.

This is going to be a tough mess to clean up. Efforts are underway on restoring Mr. SkellyBones to regular size for a more practical lock-up, and there's rubble everywhere.

Also, the moon is still on fire.

s31_orig.png

Archived