FEEDBACK/Constructive Criticism for the GTNH server

Dear Bruny and Staff of GTNH,

First off I would like to thank you all for the fantastic server and your dedication to keeping it up and running, I have about 700 hours on GTNH now not including the other servers I have played on with you guys in the past. I have some feedback from the community and myself that I would like to address. Sometimes we, as a GTNH community feel like the issues that are popping up, aren't being addressed and I have decided to make a forum post so that hopefully, Bruny and the higher-ups can see it. 

-TPS

The TPS issues are so bad sometimes that it makes me want to log off and start a single-player world. It's worse when there are a lot of people on but interestingly I was on all by myself a handful of times and the TPS was still like 1 game second to 3 IRL seconds which just made no sense since I was the only one online. When I reached out to 3xJ he said its " a tick rate issue caused by a plugin I believe." We have lots of donators here on GTNH and we would love to see some of that money go back into some faster TPS. 

PS: I'm not a tech guy but I hear that the new GTNH update supports the latest version of java or Minecraft or something like that which I hear is a big thing cause it can optimize the game and help TPS, I think it was Sreny1 who mentioned it can run on java 17-19(20) in discord.

-Visual Prospecting

I know this one is on the back burner but it would really be great to get that fixed because as far as i know other servers a fraction of the size of craftersland have it working and it would make the game way more playable. 

-More frequent server restarts 

Sometimes the TPS is so brutal but the server doesn't restart, I think making it so the server resets more often would help out a lot. 

I know all the staff here are volunteers and I appreciate that, I just believe sometimes the issues we are having don't reach the higher-ups.

PS I just want to give a shout-out to Lordwarlock for being the BEST and most helpful member of GTNH. He is always there to help and serves everyone well.

Nick

@brunyman @HappyN0x @3XJ @LordWarlock

Nick,

Coxe here. I completely agree and second everything mentioned in the post. I've become a regular on the GTNH server in the past couple of months, and have seen the server get progressively worse over this time.

When I first started playing, the TPS was great and running steadily at 20. However, now when I'm online alone my machines will sometimes take 3-4 seconds to run 1 second of work. It's really a shame because I too have wondered if I could take the map offline and start a single player world just because of how intensive and grindy GTNH is. I have seen player numbers go down during my time on the server too, so I'm wondering if they might think the same thing.

I would love to see some of these TPS issues addressed. I recently donated to the server and hope some of it will go towards improving GTNH or at least maintaining it by figuring out where this lag is coming from. It could be old world anchors at old bases, plugins, or even entity lag, but I do know for a fact that it's not player count. It seems to be built up over time until the server restarts. The restarts help a ton. Hopefully some of these observations help. 

Thanks

On 4/1/2023 at 12:29 PM, Coxe said:

Nick,

Coxe here. I completely agree and second everything mentioned in the post. I've become a regular on the GTNH server in the past couple of months, and have seen the server get progressively worse over this time.

When I first started playing, the TPS was great and running steadily at 20. However, now when I'm online alone my machines will sometimes take 3-4 seconds to run 1 second of work. It's really a shame because I too have wondered if I could take the map offline and start a single player world just because of how intensive and grindy GTNH is. I have seen player numbers go down during my time on the server too, so I'm wondering if they might think the same thing.

I would love to see some of these TPS issues addressed. I recently donated to the server and hope some of it will go towards improving GTNH or at least maintaining it by figuring out where this lag is coming from. It could be old world anchors at old bases, plugins, or even entity lag, but I do know for a fact that it's not player count. It seems to be built up over time until the server restarts. The restarts help a ton. Hopefully some of these observations help. 

Thanks

I think the main reasons for lag building up over time is because this modpack is a heavy modpack. Its progression are so huge and demand so much resources so that until now no one has reached end-game item (the portal gateway) yet. The more tier you progress, the more automation required, so more multiblocks must be builted. To make everything worse, free players can only loaded 4 chunks at maximum so the most obvious choice is build everything inside 4 chunks, including the ME system that must stored millions of items for autocrafting process.

On 4/3/2023 at 5:57 AM, mygod23 said:

To make everything worse, free players can only loaded 4 chunks at maximum so the most obvious choice is build everything inside 4 chunks, including the ME system that must stored millions of items for autocrafting process.

you can use the railcraft chunkloaders (if i remember the mod name correctly), i think it was personal anchor or world anchor, each one can load a 3x3 chunks, they consume ender pearls, which are pretty easy to acquire with a small enderman farm. 

42 minutes ago, SaDKinGo said:

i think part of the tps problem is some players have creative items , specifically those who spawn admin anchors that load bases that user is offline for more then 1 year .

so i hope you fix it :) , ty .

one of the bases that i found .

https://imgur.com/a/Itb2QiX

@brunyman

@JebacBydgoszcz 

1 hour ago, SaDKinGo said:

i think part of the tps problem is some players have creative items , specifically those who spawn admin anchors that load bases that user is offline for more then 1 year .

@brunyman

I think that this chunkloaders may also be the reason why it cant rain on the server..Someone chunkloaded a machine that keeps sunny weather forever.

On 4/1/2023 at 12:29 AM, Coxe said:

Nick,

Thanks

This is close to my experience, but i had ZERO issues until i had machines. Its almost like adding machines to one spot adds it to the collective lag that everyone goes through. I really like this pack, but these 492 second recipes taking 2 hours is starting to sour the experience. I dont have any explanation or resolution, but i just want to see that OUR voice is heard, as this is a common issue.

• Founder
On 4/7/2023 at 11:40 PM, SaDKinGo said:

@brunyman

There is a global limit to how many chunks can be loaded at a time. We will perform a Railcraft chunkloader cleanup to make sure that nothing like that can cause an issue

18 hours ago, brunyman said:

Can you see what TPS value there was at that time? I don't get any warnings on log of TPS issues

TPS are 20 almost all the time, but the processing of machines and anything on the server is taking more than the time that it needs to, for example if you used a furnace with a 10 in-game seconds recipe it'll take around 25-30 seconds to actually finish

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2023 at 2:28 AM, brunyman said:

Can you see what TPS value there was at that time? I don't get any warnings on log of TPS issues

Any update yet on solutions for this tick/TPS issue, for the past 2 days its been like 2 greg seconds to 10 IRL seconds. if we could get a statement from you we would appreciate it.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

On 3/30/2023 at 8:02 AM, Nickamania100 said:

Dear Bruny and Staff of GTNH,

First off I would like to thank you all for the fantastic server and your dedication to keeping it up and running, I have about 700 hours on GTNH now not including the other servers I have played on with you guys in the past. I have some feedback from the community and myself that I would like to address. Sometimes we, as a GTNH community feel like the issues that are popping up, aren't being addressed and I have decided to make a forum post so that hopefully, Bruny and the higher-ups can see it. 

-TPS

The TPS issues are so bad sometimes that it makes me want to log off and start a single-player world. It's worse when there are a lot of people on but interestingly I was on all by myself a handful of times and the TPS was still like 1 game second to 3 IRL seconds which just made no sense since I was the only one online. When I reached out to 3xJ he said its " a tick rate issue caused by a plugin I believe." We have lots of donators here on GTNH and we would love to see some of that money go back into some faster TPS. 

PS: I'm not a tech guy but I hear that the new GTNH update supports the latest version of java or Minecraft or something like that which I hear is a big thing cause it can optimize the game and help TPS, I think it was Sreny1 who mentioned it can run on java 17-19(20) in discord.

-Visual Prospecting

I know this one is on the back burner but it would really be great to get that fixed because as far as i know other servers a fraction of the size of craftersland have it working and it would make the game way more playable. 

-More frequent server restarts 

Sometimes the TPS is so brutal but the server doesn't restart, I think making it so the server resets more often would help out a lot. 

I know all the staff here are volunteers and I appreciate that, I just believe sometimes the issues we are having don't reach the higher-ups.

PS I just want to give a shout-out to Lordwarlock for being the BEST and most helpful member of GTNH. He is always there to help and serves everyone well.

Nick

@brunyman @HappyN0x @3XJ @LordWarlock

Thank you :)

• 3 months later...