PVP Mechanics

shipmaster4000

When me and my friends originally found this server we were searching for a server with IEE and PVP. While this server has PVP and I've been in it a few times myself there have been some problems I've found with the whole system and are quite annoying and make the experience impossible or unfun.

The first problem I've found is that pvp can be avoided with teleportation. I think that being able to run from a fight is a good thing, it prevents the players from being able to just kill someone as soon as they spot someone. This isnt fun for anyone. However once the fight begins being able to simply teleport away is not so great. While most forms of teleportation have a 2 second cool down (A bit short but good enough) /town spawn has zero cool down and can end a fight multiple times. This is frustrating to me while I'm fighting someone, and I'm sure it's frustrating to the people I've done it to. 

Another problem with pvp is on the opposite end of the spectrum. The portals at spawn have no grace zone. As soon as I enter the end I'm at risk. This means people could easily set up and ambush and only those with the top tier armor may be able to get out alive. While I haven't witnessed this I can see the potential and It would be nice to see this addressed. 

Any comments or concerns would be appreciated, thanks for reading.

Edit: Not really pvp, but in the kinda in the area as it involves raiding. As a method to clean up the world I also propose adding some sort of feature to remove protection from bases over time. Normally this is done through taxing of the town, but seeing how that would be unfair to large towns that people who donated own, I suggest adding a town tax of maybe 100 or 50 as this is one to two votes per day and still leaves plenty of room to make money. Also a per chunk cost of maybe 1 would be acceptable, as that would allow a town of 100 chunks to only cost twice as much to maintain as a town with 1 chunk. This means bases of people who go inactive for a long time will be able to be raided and allows for a treasure trove for new players exploring the world while cleaning up the landscape of untouchable land.

• Founder

The /town spawn command should be added to a cooldown check, I will have to code a plugin for this.

But for the end, when you get there there is a small area 4x4 with pvp off, you mean that area is too small?

8 minutes ago, brunyman said:

The /town spawn command should be added to a cooldown check, I will have to code a plugin for this.

But for the end, when you get there there is a small area 4x4 with pvp off, you mean that area is too small?

Oh is there? I'm sorry I must have never noticed. Just figured I'd see something like I see in spawn about welcome to "place".

Thank you for your help!

Well... dunno if the server wants to be a full pvp one... like raiding and stuff... since it's on expert mode... that would be quite painful to loose stuffs. We usually tend to have players that don't really like pvp. just building and playing with friends.

8 hours ago, GunnerHQ said:

Well... dunno if the server wants to be a full pvp one... like raiding and stuff... since it's on expert mode... that would be quite painful to loose stuffs. 

I agree it would be painful to loose stuffs, I'm not saying that raids should be available constantly. But on servers that have any period of time on them its helpful. Players who play for a few days decide they dont like expert and leave will not have much money from voting and will quickly loose their progress, meanwhile players who spend a lot of time, vote every day will be protected for possibly months after they stop playing. This means land frees up at a rate according to how long people play the game. 

I think this system is more fair then the current system in place where once the land gets cluttered the server is restarted and so people who spend the most time loose the most, while people who play a few hours are benefited from the restart. This simply allows for the world to be cleaned up at a rate according to how players play. I've heard there is a month inactivity system in place currently and I feel the mechanics for land costs would be a more fair way to address these things.

I don't think you quite understand why we wipe. The server is stored on a ramdrive, unlike most others, for speed and better processing, along with several other of our servers. Over time, players who have been playing from the very beginning build a lot of intensive bases. They don't abandon them, either. Eventually, their bases start filling up the server with high lag and low tps. Abandoned bases don't have anybody in them, and therefore they don't load, thus being unable to contribute to lag. Over time, as well, resources in the overworld begin running out. Modded structures are raided, animals and other mobs become rare, as well as plants, ores, and meteors. In other words, everything essential is gone. This discourages newer players, as they cannot get started or even obtain any essential items. They are also further discouraged by the low tps, random empty and broken structures, and missing food items. Also over time, the server and map begins to fill up with garbage. The server slowly empties.

A fresh wipe has always, in the past, brought several things with it. This includes a lot more players ready to play on a new map, fresh resources, less lag, and many others. It also allows us to apply bug fixes, delete all the garbage, duped and illegal items lying around, and apply other changes. Whenever we feel we need a wipe, we usually run a poll. The poll results have always shown that it is the long term players who vote for wipes, and the new players who vote against the wipes. You yourself are a new player, and haven't lived through more than one wipe. 

We also resart the server hourly, to clear up bases that are loaded via chunkloaders but the people in them are no longer online, to unload unused dimensions, and reduce lag. Whenever the server is lagging, a restart will usually clear that up. The server also lags a lot when there are a large number of people on them. Also, recently, we have been having a few connection issues with our server hosts. In other words, we wipe not for the reasons you think we do. 

Regarding PvP/Raiding: Follow the rules about PvP. Don't be toxic about it. Be nice to the people you fight, and they will be willing to fight you again. It's that simple. Don't steal their stuff, since on IE a simple set of iron armor can represent hours of work. You don't need to steal new players stuff from their graves, nor do you need to kill new players for the fun of it. In other words, be nice when you pvp, those are the rules.

I can fully understand not wanting to loose your stuff, a set of iron armor can be painful to loose. At the same time that's what makes pvp so rewarding and cool. Pvp is a lot of fun and as disappointing as loosing items can be, winning a duel is even funner! But a certain magic is lost when you have no risk involved. As it currently stands I feel you could have this high risk high reward system in place and at the same time have it lightweight enough that if one party wants to run away it is fairly simple to do so. All your commands have a 2s cooldown so avoiding it entirely is completely possible. I understand that it is not my server and the admins have the right to run it as they will, but with the system of pvp that you just described, putting the tag PVP on the server is a bit dishonest as it is not what people searching for pvp are looking for. 

I often am respectful to players when pvping, if someone is wearing leather I'm not going to kill them, but one of the most exciting and thrilling moments I've had on your server was during a high TPS time when pvping with someone with a draconic/wyvern/quantum set. There was teamwork with me and a few buddies as we tried to take him down, town spawn would get him out as soon as we got close enough to hit him but it was an experience I'd look forward to playing again.

I see how lag builds up, but it seems rather strange to me that a world that is only a few weeks old would get such low tps from bases. Maybe the modpack really is just really hefty on computers, but I have seen other servers last much longer then only a few months. Some we have found to be years old at this point. As a new player it just seems discouraging to see the server slow down so fast and to see how often it is reset. Then again I have seldom seen servers get to quite the size this one is, most large servers are usually around 40-50 people, and I've seen this one triple that stat. Maybe a way to combat this would to just divide the servers up more for preference of players (ie, creative, nonpvp, hardcorepvp) as this is one of the smoothest running servers once the player count drops down the the reasonable 40-50 players. (also it seems rather strange to have creative and non creative in the same world given how much headache its given to players and mods alike.)

Archived