Easter Holiday SALE 40% OFF ends in:

Thank you for support!

Suggestions

GravityCube

Suggestions:

General:

1. Update the rules. At the time the rules are abstract and hard to understand properly because they are made to be too general for any case. They should be more specific about what they want to mean. Different staff members interpret and enforce these rules differently.
2. Topic closed. I have seen some topics being closed by the staff even if it wasn't supposed to be closed. Even in some cases of unban appeals, the topic is closed without any proof of a rule having been broken.
3. Banned items. The plugin to ban items should be improved. Some of the creative players make use of their power to spawn banned items like the creative strongbox. Doing this they dupe normal items being able to give away to normal players and then sell their items on the market. (I have seen this in this wipe a couple of times).
4. Tag on the items. (“Created by xxx” in the lore of the item) A tag plugin would be very useful in the server to track the items to the player that created them. There are a lot of duped items going around. It would be hard to track every item, but at least the expensive or destructive ones like antimatter or keys can be tracked or heavily regulated to prevent abuse. 

Personal suggestion

1. Computercraft restriction. The rule about tracking players is super restrictive to advanced computercraft users, this part of computercraft can be used to make super cool stuff like shops or custom UIs. I posted about this before and I didn’t got an answer.

Off-topic How are the staff promoted?

I don't see how profiling or databasing players can be abusive. The only thing I can think of would be someone taking the names and posting them on pastebin or using HTTP POST to collect usernames. You can also see staff in /vanish mode but any scripts that have been saved on a computer would be immediately and permanently available for staff to investigate. There isn't a specific tag for staff members vs. regular members, and adding any staff members' name to the file would immediately send up a red flag. Even if someone was ultra careful and created a comparison function that used a hardcoded key that corresponded with a staff member's name, that would look suspicious and be easy to find within a script.

I'm in favor of getting rid of this rule. Computercraft has far too much potential to be awesome to be restricted so much. 

1. The rules are generalized with the purpose of covering as much gray areas as possible, however the way they are applied and the punishments are fixed.
2. The purpose of a unban post is not for the staff to prove said player was guilty, it's for the player to prove he wasn't. If he can provide even a little evidence of him not being guilty then yes, the staff member(s) that did the ban will provide material, otherwise it will be closed when it either derails or not enough proof is given by the player.
The ban plugin is constantly being worked on by brunyman but like with any bugs it takes time, tekkit being on a 1.6.4 platform doesn't help at all either.
4. We already have a tag plugin for creative items. Another tag would clutter the item. Having duped items in a large amount with or without a tag would be the same, you might have a slight chance of finding out whose items are but every system can be abused and tekkit has shown it too many times.(The keys aren't craftable)

1`. Tracking staff members interferes greatly with our job. Computer craft can and has been abused in the past so I am against any kind of editing or removal of this rule.

And the promotion of staff is none of your business or something you will be told.

A better way to illustrate the use of a tag is to detect an item which has been indiscriminately duplicated. It is very easy to see when to add a tag and when to delete a tag - I.E when the antimatter is created through the use of a particle accelerator, the item is accounted for. When the antimatter explodes, it is accounted for. Every 5 minutes a check can be placed to see if there are more items than there should be. Antimatter can also be crafted through a quantum assembler. This would require a slightly different tag, but an addition to the general amount of antimatter in the world that was created by one person. Nothing more than the time it was created and the player who created it as well as the method of creation is necessary to place on the item. If the count of the item is greater than it should be (presumably because of duplication...) then you have evidence and an automated system of tracking this item. You can then plot the trend of the player's actions on a graph and schedule a time they are likely to be on... then check their computers or bases for staff tracking scripts and disable or obfuscate them and watch/record their actions. The biggest problem is when someone uses it to grief land. What can be done to counteract this is analyzing the method that has been used to drop the antimatter. Turtles can drop, droppers can drop, ME item droppers can drop, etc... all of those have a distinct function and could have extensions placed on them which would check if the antimatter goes through a mystcraft portal. Then the next check would be to see which player made the antimatter and where the mystcraft portal teleports to. All of the items used to do this will have creation tags on them that could potentially include the player who had created the item. You can match specific books with specific players simply by looking at the numbers in the log without even adding a name because of how unique the numbers would be upon creation of the book. 

As for staff tracking, I can see why you would be concerned. However, one instance of abuse (or even multiple) by one person does not necessarily warrant disabling or blocking a feature. The only bad thing that can be done with that kind of tracking is seeing a staff member in your base that has vanished. If the intent was to be malicious or hide something, any higher staff could ban the player. After all, seeing something get destroyed right as you teleport into a base is quite suspicious. That would warrant an investigation and a prompt ban. I don't think it would be too terribly hard to make a script scanner that looks for a script that loads the sensor API to track players. That could easily be logged and even over the course of a month, the log wouldn't go over maybe a couple hundred kilobytes in size, or the 9x9 chunk area that initializes every time someone makes a new mystcraft world. You could cut out comments and analyze the scripts for functions that aren't called (which would serve to make it harder to find which ones are part of the malicious operation) and that would drastically reduce file size. You can also check the size of the script as well as whether there were any changes from the last time it had been run to add a count instead of copying the script again. Or... you could trust a few players and approve any scripts that make a call to the sensor API or use PIM on a case-by-case basis. The amount of effort needed to use computercraft to effectively hide illicit activity is far too high to be useful to someone who wants to harm the server. They would be better off brute-forcing the staff accounts and banning people randomly. 

Archived