Warning - don't use runic shielding!

ohnolookwho

Hey guys,

I think this is entirely hard-coded to function in a pretty poor way and probably cant be fixed locally on the server. Here's some info in case you didn't know.

Runic shielding from thaumcraft is utterly terrible and has a potential to make you die from a single hit - avoid using it at all costs. Here's a video of me being hit by a 12.25 damage elementium sword without any runic shielding on and then with runic shielding on: 

Here's what I've gathered is happening here:
When I got hit at first, the 12.25 damage was reduced by Thaumium Fortress armor value, Thaumium Fortress hidden set reduction bonus and the enchants, reducing the 12.25 damage hit down to 1 damage (half heart).
When runic shielding was applied and allowed to charge to maximum (+8 shield), it applied an "overshield" to my character, which is taken off before armor reductions. This means that the 12.25 hit was registered to hit 8 shield at full force, taking it down; overkill damage (which should have been 4.25) was applied to my true hp (hearts) at full force, completely bypassing armor values. In fact, I took 4 hearts of damage, which corresponds to 8 damage total, rather than 4.25. No idea why, but it's even worse in this case.

In conclusion: if you get hit by a large hit and you have runic shielding on, if the hit is larger than your runic shielding amount, you risk getting 1-hit ko'd no matter what your armor values are.

• 3 weeks later...

Update: seems like this also applies to Absorption buff (golden apple and botania flask). When hit by a crimson knight without the buff, I lost around 10 hearts (20 damage). When hit under the effect of Absorption IV buff (extra 8 hearts) i took 76 damage (8 absorption hearts and 30 hearts of my own).

Edit: Testing seems inconsistent, I will put more effort into it soon and figure out what exactly causes this strange behavior.

Archived