Astral Sorcery Issues

jerminator00

So, the collector crystal that spawned in the temple we settled next to appears to have stopped working properly, in that it no longer forms any links. Not sure if this is the same issue that occurred in astral sorcery in the DW20 server, but it seems to be having the same effect.

Between 6 and 7 p.m. e.s.t., I headed over to the crystal with some iron ore and a linking tool in hand in an attempt to make some star metal, so that I could continue progressing through the mod. At this time, the crystal was still in working order, still successfully linked to the crafting table me and my friends had put down and used yesterday to get started in the mod. Put down the iron ore and used the linking tool, and successfully linked the crystal and the ore. Particle effects, sounds, it was all still there indicating that the mod was working as intended. I never did get a single piece of star metal though. You see, before the first ore transmuted, the server reset, as usual. However, when the server came back up, the crystal was no longer linked to either the ore nor the crafting table. I attempted to use the linking tool to once again attempt to transmute the iron, but to no avail. I tried for the crafting table as well, but that did not work either. I then removed both the ore and the crafting table and placed the crafting table back down again in the hopes that that at least would still work, but it did not. And so, the crystal nearby now seems to be a dud.

I can't help but wonder if perhaps a new/fresh collector crystal were put down, if that would link properly, if perhaps this issue comes up if a manual link is in place during a server reset. I would attempt this myself, but without the starmetal I am unable to progress to the point where I would be able to create my own collector crystal to see.

Another problem I've run into, it seems as though the telescope may be bugged. Whenever I attempt to use it, the screen will show the telescope ui for a brief moment, then kick me right out of it. This also only happens when I click on the lower half of the two block tall item. Clicking on the top block does absolutely nothing.

So is there no solution to this? Would a newly placed crystal work perhaps? I mean, if it hasn't been tried before it might be worth checking out at least.

This was a problem I had with the DW20 server and I was hoping it would work here. I found the fix on DW20 1.12 to not be all that great, selling luminous crafting tables doesn't help any because you need the resonating wand to make anything with it, and to progress through the mod you need to make a luminous table yourself (unless I'm mistaken). Selling starmetal ore would be useful for those who already started, but would ultimately be useless for anyone who can't start.

The more I play the more it seems other parts of the mod are/have broken as well. It seems as though my resonating wand no longer shows particles in the world where I can find rock crystals. I was also unable to grind down one of my rock crystals in the grindstone, so that might be broken as well.

If a new crystal would work, then perhaps a potential solution would be to have a public crystal near spawn that people could use to craft the two starting items needed, or transmute starmetal, that could be replaced if/when it breaks over time. Or, if new crystals work, then perhaps a floating crystal and linking tool can be added to spawn shops so people can buy their own way to start the mod.

If popping down a new crystal doesn't do anything, then would it be possible to have a scroll of expertise for sale at spawn that would put whoever uses it just after crafting a luminous table, then just have the table, resonating wand, and starmetal ore all for sale as well?

On 5/12/2018 at 10:49 AM, jerminator00 said:

If popping down a new crystal doesn't do anything, then would it be possible to have a scroll of expertise for sale at spawn that would put whoever uses it just after crafting a luminous table, then just have the table, resonating wand, and starmetal ore all for sale as well?

This sounds like a good idea, I have already tried placing a new crystal before, and it doesn't seem to work. This could be a pretty good alternative to that.

Another issue has come to light. I assumed this was an issue when everything broke initially, but I shrugged it off as not being as immediate a concern as the more clearly observable problems, but after talking with others who had managed to start AS, it would appear that the white particles that show where rock crystal ore is when holding a resonating wand seem to no longer show. However, the ore does still exist, and is still harvestable. When I first started AS when everything still worked I saw three such particles close to my base. I had harvested two of the three before the break, and remembered the general location of the third after the break occurred. Thus, I was able to find the third ore cluster after the break to harvest more crystals, and moreso was able to prove that the particles no longer showed.

Now, acting upon this is where I am hesitant to suggest anything and am unsure what the correct course of action would be. The problem is not that these are unobtainable, it's that they are unlocatable. The blocks are pretty rare, only spawning one or two ore per vein, with the veins usually being somewhat spread out, and only spawning in the bottom five blocks of the world. I have no idea if this ore spawns in any other dimension other than the overworld, or if any of the mining dimension or deep dark also spawn them in making this a non-issue, but these rock crystals are vital to the mod, many recipes, including the third tier altar, requiring them as materials. The rock crystals also have varying attributes of size, purity, and cutting. A possible solution would be to add the ore itself to spawn shop, as then the player would be able to get random crystal attributes as intended. The ore is affected by fortune, and has a pretty rare spawn rate, so I could see a higher cost for them.

• Founder

Any price suggestion for these? Weird is that these worked and now don't since we did nothing different, i wonder if the protection system griefprevention has to do with this, we will update sponge and griefprevention to make sure these were not to blame.

Well, given how rarely they spawn in, combined with how easy they are supposed to be to find if the mod was working properly and how many crystals you can theoretically get from a single ore...I'd say, maybe something like $200-$500 per ore? Not really the best when it comes to economics though, so you might want a second opinion, but I'm loosely basing this on the prices you have in spawn for an emerald and a diamond.

Thank you very much bruny. Thanks to rock crystal ore being added, I was able to get back into astral sorcery and progress further, and I have news! Something that I had been wondering since the crystals first broke, I have discovered that a crafted Celestial Collector Crystal works as intended, being able to be linked properly. I'm unsure if a crafted regular collector crystal would work, as there's no point in making one really other than checking, but the resonating wand and luminous crafting table are able to be crafted manually! Just, a Celestial Collector Crystal needs to be placed atop the crystal altar structure, per the instructions in the mod's book, and manually linked to a crafting table with a linking tool.

As for implementing this as a fix for the whole server to freely use, I guess that depends entirely on how the protection of spawn is handled. If the settings make is so that a linking tool cannot be used on the crystal by a regular player, but that they could use a crafting table, then a simple solution would be to just add a Celestial Collector Crystal structure somewhere at spawn linked to a crafting table that everyone would be able to use to start the mod, as unless I'm mistaken a player needs to craft the luminous crafting altar themself to unlock the next chapter of the Astral Sorcery book to naturally progress through the mod. This would also get rid of the need to add a resonating wand and experience scroll to the shop as I described in one of my posts earlier in this thread.

For now though, I guess if someone wants to start the mod and they have the necessary materials to craft them, I'd be fine with letting people tp to me to craft the wand and table with my celestial crystal.

Okay, so update on the celestial crystal: It was broken when i got on today. Haven't been on revelations for a couple days, so not sure when it broke. It wasn't linked to anything, and attempting to link it again with the linking tool would not work. Same thing as the regular collector crystals, linking tool could be used to interact with the crystal, but would not interact with any other block while being linked to said crystal.

However, I was easily able to just go ahead and break the crystal then put it back down and it worked perfectly fine again. Just a heads up.

Okay, so after getting some help to mess around with perms, I have made it so there is a way for people to craft the resonating wand and luminous table on their own of they want to. East of spawn, along the river at the edge of spawn claim I have built an astral sorcery teleportation altar. If you use it (there's a sign with rough instructions how) it will teleport you to an accessible space of my base with a crafting table that should be linked with my celestial crystal. Tested it out, anyone should be able to use it to craft with. So until staff does anything to address this in a more official way, there is currently an option open for the public to start astral sorcery.

Hmm? No, not as far as I know. After all, all the naturally generated crystals seemed to break at the same time throughout the entire server regardless of claims.

I was just mentioning that I got someone (tara) to help me establish the correct claim permission settings to make a (hopefullly) grief proof section of my base that is freely open to the public to use in order to have access to a crafting table linked to starlight. If anything, it would seem to indicate that whatever caused the problem in the first place is a reoccurring issue, meaning I will most likely have to occasionally fix it for others to use it.

At the very least, when I got on earlier today to examine the teleporter setup I put in I noticed that my celestial crystal had unlinked again, and would not link unless broken and replaced (it also had updated, and imo much improved particle effects to show the altar setup for the crystal was working, but that's irrelevant). Have plans on testing the telescope to see if perhaps that will work now, and have yet to examine the natural gen crystals to check for linkage but assume those will still be broken. The real question to me is whether or not whatever breaks them in the first place is still there, or if my celestial crystal will continue to break over time. Resonating wand particle effects could also use checking I suppose, but atm I'm having some difficulty getting on the server.

Archived