Overworld

Zeke

Hi. Just joined this server because the last server I played on ended up playing on/donating to died in terms of players. Bought flying to speed up my early game (god knows it's not fast) and went to the overworld to find a few things relating to progression: Furnaces, Temples for Astral Sorcery, and dungeons. I've hit each of the 4 world borders and i've yet to find a single one of any of these, likely because the overworld hasn't been reset in a crazy amount of time (looks to me like it's 120 days at least). 

Given how important Astral Sorcery temples are to progression, let alone just new players wanting to have some untouched area period, I suggest resetting the overworld at some point. I've played on a few different Interactions servers now, and most advise against overworld building because of these reasons, resetting every month or so, that new players wouldn't feel too much of a hindrance to their progression.

Obviously you can't make everyone happy. Some new players may not even know or care that exploring a rich overworld can be such a benefit to their progression. But it's no secret that players without access to Astral Temples will struggle. If you reset the overworld, you'll cause older players who didn't stick to the island dimension to be upset, and newer players to be happy, heck, might even bring in a few new players while you're at it if you announce it ahead of time. I guess in the case with me, you've already gotten my money, but perhaps other new players wouldn't be so willing to dump money just to try to find temples or villages that don't exist.

Thanks for reading either way. 

Zeke

I mean furnaces aren’t needed at all because of the tinker furnace and eventually the gt furnace, but marble and the first aquamarines are needed to progress. I think if a reset is decided on, that it should just be the OW.  If you put a sever notice either in game, or in the description of the server(like when it says 4* rewards) that the ow is getting reset on [DATE] that would be plenty of time for people to move to islands. 

Tl:dr +1 to reset if it’s only OW

I agree with this idea, as pictured above. 
Even though a lot players have their bases in the OW I don't think many of them play. And if they do moving to the void is not that hard, just add a warning period first. I've personally moved since I hope the OW will be reset soon since a lot of newer people get quite bummed out trying to look for the sparse resources needed to get started. Yesterday I saw someone sell the location of an Astral Sorcery shrine that hadn't been mined for 500 server bucks, just for the marble...
So while I no longer need it my self I think it would be beneficial to the servers health.

On 8/22/2019 at 1:30 PM, dodoka01 said:

I don't want to lose my enormous base :(

It took a lot of effort

So no one else can progress in the pack past a point, and new players just can’t pkay period because you built your base in the ow? Doesn’t seem fair to me. In this type of pack I don’t see how one would expect the overworld not to be reset. 

In my opinion wiping the overworld and the voidworld is the best option. This way you don't punish players for moving to the overworld.

When this modpack got created initially, there was no voidworld, so everyone would have to make a base in the overworld anyway. The voidworld got added almost at the end of the modpack getting released.

You can compare this modpack to our other fully overworld based servers, only difference here is that you also have a voidworld.
When resources get depleted and there are no more spots for people to settle, there's a full wipe.

6 hours ago, Vampiremaster said:

So no one else can progress in the pack past a point, and new players just can’t pkay period because you built your base in the ow? Doesn’t seem fair to me.

How is wiping the overworld where people built there base fair? You punish the players that want to play the modpack as an overworld pack.

If there is a wipe of both the overworld and voidworld, we should change to overworld to function like the nether/end on the other servers. Having no border (thus eliminating the problem where people die when they use their own overworld portal) and wiping it every month so the resources get replenished. A message where we notify people of the overworld getting wiped should be shown pretty often, so people don't build their base there by accident anyway.

In the end this seems like the best option to me, but feel free to give us your opinion.

7 hours ago, DragonLady said:

In my opinion wiping the overworld and the voidworld is the best option. This way you don't punish players for moving to the overworld.

When this modpack got created initially, there was no voidworld, so everyone would have to make a base in the overworld anyway. The voidworld got added almost at the end of the modpack getting released.

You can compare this modpack to our other fully overworld based servers, only difference here is that you also have a voidworld.
When resources get depleted and there are no more spots for people to settle, there's a full wipe.

How is wiping the overworld where people built there base fair? You punish the players that want to play the modpack as an overworld pack.

If there is a wipe of both the overworld and voidworld, we should change to overworld to function like the nether/end on the other servers. Having no border (thus eliminating the problem where people die when they use their own overworld portal) and wiping it every month so the resources get replenished. A message where we notify people of the overworld getting wiped should be shown pretty often, so people don't build their base there by accident anyway.

In the end this seems like the best option to me, but feel free to give us your opinion.

Although I agree with most of what you said, I still don’t think we should wipe islands yet. As far as I’ve seen there is no one that is very far in this pack, and resetting the server entirely when people are half way done, with a month of solid gameplay, would probably put off a lot of people from returning after the wipe. And although it isn’t “fair” to people who built in the ow, I would say in this case the needs/wants of the many who didn’t outweigh the needs/wants of the few who did, but that’s just my opinion. Like I said, you could always put up an announcement a month to a few weeks ahead of it, so people had a chance to move. 

31 minutes ago, Vampiremaster said:

As far as I’ve seen there is no one that is very far in this pack

Derp has completed the entire modpack already(like over a month or 2 ago actually).

31 minutes ago, Vampiremaster said:

and resetting the server entirely when people are half way done, with a month of solid gameplay, would probably put off a lot of people from returning after the wipe.

The server is around 6 months old. Around the 6-8 months mark we check if a server is due for a wipe. There have been plenty of server wipes(basically all wipes since we get new players pretty often) after 6 or so months where people have only been playing for over a month.

This isn't really an excuse not to wipe, cause then we would never be able to wipe since there will always be players that have only played for a month.

Yes, this is a hardcore modpack, but our other hardcore modpacks have had a wipe after the 6-8 months mark aswell and that was plenty of time for people to complete the pack.

And what we see from wipes in the past is that it actually helps the playerbase quite a bit.

In the end it's not my decision if there's a full server wipe or only an overworld wipe. It's a combination between the manager and players, so we'll see what options we have when the manager decides when/if a wipe would be needed.

No matter if both or just ow is reset, ow needs to be reset soon. Furnaces, astral sorcery marble, and aquamarine are rare to nonexistent on the server anymore, and new people can’t get very far without those. Even people who aren’t new will probably hit a point where they need one of those and can’t play any further either. 

Agreed. Nobody likes a wipe, but you really need to make an auto wiping overworld every so often for this pack. Can we get an official word on this already? It's been a month since the topic was raised (that I saw) in Discord. How much longer is necessary to make a decision on yes or no?