World anchors disappearing bug/feature?

frietzakNL

Since the last update of the anti-lag plug-in, the world anchors in all the worlds starts disappearing after some time. For a lot of people this is very annoying because you realy need them when you're online and playing the game. At this point i'm not sure if this is a featue (so it was planned) or if it is a bug of the last anti-lag update. Yesterday evening I asked imperatus for any possible reason and he forwarded me to this forum to make a complaint. However this topic is not directly meant as a complaint but more as a notice and as a question about the reasons.

If the disappearing of the world anchors was planned, is there maybe a midway possible? Like limit the max world anchors per player/town.

Last I want to say that we, atleast I, understand that the running of a server cost a lot of resources. And for that I understand that there have to be limits/restrictions on a server like this.

• Founder

Hi, the monitoring system works like this, it checks server TPS every minute, if TPS for last 2 checks drops below 18 it will check and remove excess entities,, if TPS drops below 16 it will also remove all chunkloaders of existing loaded chunks in the effort to reduce the loaded chunks and load to try to recover performance, if TPS drops below 9 it will auto restart the server. This system is there try to keep the server in acceptable values if the existing server settings to reduce lag can't keep up, and this does happen sometime when some buggy machine setups are loaded or chunks with lots of machines.

So about how often does this happen?  While Chunk loaders (I use world anchors) aren't the most expensive blocks in the world, replacing them all the time would become quite a problem.  Does the system prioritize the deletion of certain chunk loaders over others?  Since chunk loading is already limited to the one chunk a player is standing in with no chunk loaders, they are an essential part of having a functional base that isn't all contained into one chunk.  If this is a thing that is going to happen a lot, is there an expedited way of getting the materials that went into making the chunk loader refunded?

Thanks!

Akademee

@Akademee

All chunk loaders are treated the same, and with this system it's meant that chunkloaders aren't really worth using anymore, unless the server had perfect tps(meaning no lag at all).

I understand this might be annoying, but it's for the sake of the server and having it like this makes a world of difference.

Thanks for understanding!

Alright, so are players still limited to loading only the chunk they are standing in now?  I just need to know how I'm supposed to make my base function correctly if it spreads out over more than 1 chunk.  Unless it has changed, if I have machines or anything in one chunk, and I move to the chunk next to it, they stop functioning.  This effect is mitigated by teching up to chunk loaders to keep a larger 3x3 area loaded correctly so that a larger base can function properly.  Is this not the case anymore?  If this is still the case and now we cannot use chunk loaders, that is literally server breaking and bases can only be limited to one chunk to function properly.  Please tell me that I am missing a piece of the puzzle here.

Okay, so any and all chunk loaders appear to be defunct now, as Henke mentioned above.  I really do not think that that is a good solution to the problem, but its your server.  Just a bit about me, the moment I saw that you could use a personal anchor, I immediately went out and purchased a rank because of that since I thought to myself "thats incredibly generous of them, I should give something back for that."  I would like to see chunk loaders available to donors.  Pipes break and leak when they cross chunks that are not properly loaded, Machines screw up when they receive power from a chunk that unloads, I just think that injecting this level of instability into the game is going to be both frustrating to players and harder on the server in the long run.  Heck, I would even be okay with all chunk loaders being deleted once a week during Friday maintenance to get rid of any 'dead' ones.  But at the level of sophistication that Infinity Expert requires, I do not see this as a good solution to the lag problem.  Would it not be better to enable Personal Anchors instead?

If the lag plugin just deletes world anchors the moment there is a TPS drop (which is still all the time), then please just ban them outright so people stop wasting resources.

Thanks!

Akademee

It depends on the time of the day. In the morning / afternoon (CET Timezone) it will happen less often. In the evening it did happen every 2 minutes. I'm not sure how often will happen now because i just stopped using them because it's too expensive to make every few minutes a new world anchor.

Personally i'm also not sure if this is the sollution to the problem. The reason for this is because the chunk loaders will only work when the player is online. If the chunk loaders are still not working when the players are online, the player would design their base in such way that all the machines are still being loaded when they are online. This is needed because the most of the machines, like ore processing machines are needed to play this game..

I would suggest to limit the max amount of world anchors/personal anchors what each player can build. This will cause that the players will make a better base design so that the chunks that will be loaded are limited.

Besides some other reasons i see a potential problem when the main base is not loaded, however i'm not sure if this is the case. When someone is using a dimensional world from RFTools, the world has to be powered when someone is inside this word. When the main base is not loaded during the time that a player is inside this world, the world will collapse and the player will die dueing the power shortage. However as i said before, I did not test this potential problem.

Besides that this solution is very annoying, I understand why this measure is taken. I like to see an other solution but i'm also not sure if there is a better one, and so I will accept this solution if it is needed to keep the server running. 

Had 2 world anchors live for a bare max of 5 minutes.. might have been bad timing. Was having a great time yesterday trying to figure out what happened with my quarry... Today i noticed after i placed my 2nd one. Saw that one dissapearing and dropping the pearls. Leaving me without chunkloaders.

Maybe an option to deactivate chunkloaders from players that aint online when the check states tps is too low?

• 1 month later...

Chunkloading system is now changed and improve! 

If you place down a chunkloader you will notice the change :-) allowing you to SAVE chunkloaders that won't get wiped by the anti-lag

I don't think there is more to add to this topic, so T/C.

• Henk locked this topic

Archived