[Suggestion][SERVER][Crash Landing] Crash Landing - hardcore survival server

Oni-Zero

This is part 2/2 of my suggestions again part due lack of hardcore modpack servers and part due the fact that the tekkit server appears that will forever be stuck on the galacticraft era (dunno why i'm complaining that much given that i can hardly play tekkit legends and that's just a 1.7 version of tekkit classic), now that i again took my selfish reasons out of the way, i'll explain my ideas.

Crash Landing as far as i know is the ultimate hardcore modpack of the 1.6.4 era and for that reason i find it fitting for a server, despite being almost completely focused on technology progression, it puts way more emphasis on survival, the thing is... how to make a hardcore survival open world multiplayer out of a hardcore survival single player while keeping the players from destroying the challenging nature of the modpack? Sadly that's the part that is what i can't find a solution for, i'd say separate the players on an excluded area with a pre-determined amount of chunks, big enough that they could die for being overrun by mobs on the first days until they make an stable enviroment to survive but not large enough that they can find cities and have the rest of the map on a separated world where it gets cloudy (rainy) oftenly so the mobs that appear on the night time remain on the day time and the players get warped to that world randomly to prevent them from teaming easily, the overworld would get wiped once per week to give everyone an equal chance to loot or raid cities, the same that i said on the suggestion of agrarian skies applies here, if players die without a back-up body available that players place is wiped and has to start all over again, sadly this modpack lacks goals given that it is fairly easy to finish it in a short amount of time, the experience probably could be enhanced with plug-ins but they can do so much, there could also be PvP and leaderboards because why "Not fun allowed" not?... although... well... players roaming around on the overworld on a survival multiplayer could be quite PvP by itself.

This all that i can think of, again this is just nothing but a suggestion, if you had time to read this then i thank you for that.

Pros and cons of this suggestion:

Pros:
1) New modpack for comunity.
Basicaly that`s it... no more pros

Cons:
1) Brunyman will not just change modpack on existing server, he does not simply stop servers wich players still play on. Only way to add new modpack, is by renting NEW server. Wich cost more money, obviously.
2) Hardcore modpack is funny and all... But... Can you imagine amount of frustration regular players get if they die due to server lag, PvP griefing, or just accident? This can repel players from playing this modpack, wich leads to server inhabitation, wich leads to unprofitability.
3) Human is inventive being, he WILL find a way to abuse economy system of server, wich will ruin hardcore nature of this modpack. See how FTB Infinity going.
4) This modpack will be HELL to manage by admins, and other staff members. You need new set of rules, specificaly for this modpack. Wich leads to more rule loopholes abusing. More arguing about "He killed me! And now i lost my base! I want rollback" and so on... And what about Sponsors and Prem+? They have ability to spawn stuff.
5) 1.6.4 is old version of minecraft, and most of community got NO interest to play on old version. Just because it`s old... Even if it`s better then new one...

Overall, I like idea of "more modpacks for community", but specifically this modpack will cause more headache then joy.

I honestly don’t know how a modpack like crash landing would work on a server concept, with the city and all- to make it like the singleplayer experience we would have to allocate thousands of blocks for each player/party- and would probably require some modpack reworking, which we can’t do.

Not to mention that Crash landing is an old modpack and not that popular. And how would we deal with the hardcore part? Permban them? Tempban 12 hours? - honestly either option will just get more players from ragequitting the server.

I do like the idea of hardcore server, and crashlanding is one of my favorite modpacks of all time- however I don’t think we have what it takes to make it into a multiplayer experience. Not to mention the current plan is to create and release SF3 and infinity beyond(in that order).

I wouldn’t mind a Forever stranded server, as it inherits the gameplay of Crashlanding but is on a mor managable version with much more freedom for customization. But it’s really the same problems there as with Crash landing.

These hardcore packs are nearly impossible to maintain on a multiplayer server experience, due to the fact that they are prebuilt maps designed for five or fewer people, and no more than ten, total. They are practically a survival adventure map with a story, and there is no way to maintain the same experience for all players who log in. It comes with more problems than it solves. As said before, it's not a very popular map, perm bans you when you lose all your lives, and would require extra server space that would take the ones already in the plans. 

When you see youtubers playing those packs with their friends, they take precautions not quite possible with the number of players we've got. It might technically be possible on a whitelisted server, but what are you going to do when the people finish playing, not every body will be at the same point. We are willing to look at other suggestions you may have, but hardcore, although fun, is unsustainable in the long run.

You guys too so long i was about to drop it, well then:

1st post:

1st: I had no idea about that, i did some small research but i didn't found even a single hint that to make a new server an old one must be taken down.

2nd: People dying is kind of part of the purpose of the modpack, they have to learn to fear their whole base getting wiped to learn to survive.

3rd: So... any map with any kind of challenge is pointless due the fact that people can loophole into secuence breaking? Gee i wonder why theresn't just a single vanilla creative dedicated server as the main attraction of the site, also if that's what you think then this suggestion thread would've been locked from the get-go due the fact that you can salvage things in the city that can lead to massive secuence breaking.

4th: ...Have you ever played this modpack? or actually checked the ideas i gave? this modpack has this backup body block, the players will live in a small plot then will warp to a map where there's hardly any rules, their plot will not be large enough to cause major issues on the server, neither small enough to not be challenging to survive the first days.

2nd post:

1st step: Take player a

2nd step: Deposit him/her in a small generated place, small enough that won't cause major lagfest, large enough to be challenging the first days.

3rd step: ????

4th step: Profit

Well, if they die without having a backup body then plot wipe... again if players can get buthurt that badly then why not cretive... on peaceful.

I petty much suggested crash landing since at this point version 1.6.4 is finished (when talking about plug-ins) and there won't seem to be any further update of crash landing, so it looked like a good oportunity to bring it up.

It is nice that there'll be a change, i was worried that the rest of the servers would grow as stagnant as tekkit galacticraft

3rd post: ...Constant server wipe is not a greater way to fix the issues either, it is just a patch that sets back everyone to temporarely keep the intrest up in hopes to hold servers until a solution comes to solve the "same old, same old" issue.

If i had to make a suggestion that pleases all the criterias would be creative... on peaceful or some otherworldy modpack that has enough content to keep players intrested for the rest of the eternity and can be molded to the point of being unexploitable under any circumstances, first one is... of someone's intrest... it has to be, the other would need an impossible (for the capacity of today's) computer to play.

Anyhow if there are plans for something new then i guess i have no arguments left, feel free to lock the threads.

Edit: Sorry about the first part, i completely missed the fact that you guys started posting a day after, i guess my sense of time is not working properly.

5 hours ago, Oni-Zero said:

also if that's what you think then this suggestion thread would've been locked from the get-go

Well... yes, I could. But would it not be rude to not let you speak your mind aswell?

I had no idea about that, i did some small research but i didn't found even a single hint that to make a new server an old one must be taken down.

Brunyman mentioned it quite recently in a another server suggestion that the next step being skyfactory 3, will not result in skyfactory 2.5 to go down. But we don't question your research, nor do we blame you from not knowing- we are merely telling you that it is the case

2nd: People dying is kind of part of the purpose of the modpack, they have to learn to fear their whole base getting wiped to learn to survive.

Yes! I understand this perfectly and it is exactly what I LOVE about crashlanding and it works well in a party enviroment with up to 4 players - but when creating a server you sort of have to think in the mindset of a game developer. We want as many as possible to play and understand our servers- some choices on our servers that you might thin is just a random choice... really isn't. Take for example the way you spawn in in most of our servers- It's a straigth path to either the market/shop/info monitor and in the end a random teleport sign. This is so that the player sees everything before they head out into the widlerness- cuz if they didn't they would get frustrated when they don't understand it. In a similar way this is too- We would need to optimize a server like this to get more players in and playing the modpack for it to make a profit. And banning players for a period of time will result in probably more than half of the players to just straight up give up on the server. That; in the long run, will hurt the server and ruin the server. 

4th: ...Have you ever played this modpack?

I have, do I need to provide video evidence of me dying horribly to it over and over again- from 3 years ago?

2nd step: Deposit him/her in a small generated place, small enough that won't cause major lagfest, large enough to be challenging the first days.

Now here is the big question: The distance between the crash landing and the city is a few hundred blocks(if I remember right) - so you suggest we would allocate all that space, including the city for each player or party? Or just put all the crashlanding sites side by side and have them all explore the same city? Neither, in my opinion would work very well.

IF -  they have their bases side by side it would ruin what crashlanding is, and a new player would simply walk over to their late game neighbor and ask for items. Ruining your idea of a hardcore modpack

IF -  they have their own "1000 block section" it would kill the server on disk space. How Craftersland today handels storage is that we use something that is called a ram drive, it is basically RAM memory allocated to becoming harddrive space. -Why?- Because it make storage much much faster than an SSD, and we have all our worlds and frequently accessed files in this ram drive. This in all means that every GB of world space is very pricy- allocating such a large area for a single player or party that will just end up dying and then not playing again would either force us to invest in much more RAM or just not be possible at all. And given my expectations of such a server like this, I don't see option one to being possible.

suggested crash landing since at this point version 1.6.4 is finished (when talking about plug-ins)

Actually, the way plugins were coded in 1.6.4 compared to 1.7.10- and even 1.10 and later makes most plugins for 1.6.4 obsolete and weak. Our only 1.6.4 server -tekkit- is also the hardest one to find good plugins to. And not that this would matter much in this case, as the majority of the plugins would have to be custom coded for a project like this- also taking alot of time from brunyman. (And again, harder for him to make due to the version.)

...Constant server wipe is not a greater way to fix the issues either, it is just a patch that sets back everyone to temporarely keep the intrest up in hopes to hold servers until a solution comes to solve the "same old, same old" issue.

We don't wipe our servers because there are issues. As long as I've been here we have never wiped a server because there were issues - Even that one time when we had flames grief a 3000x3000 area on the infinity evolved server -We fixed that too.- (or bruny did.) We wipe because it's what the players want- they want to start over together with everyone else, aswell as the world size issue I brought up earlier- it free's up alot of disk space. This also gives us the chance to patch out issues if there are some, like exploits, dupes etc. but they are never the sole reason for the wipe.

I'm not going to lock the topic yet, I am -as last time- going to give you a chance to reply if you wish. Otherwise it will be closed in a week's time. I really do like your suggetion and I would really hope that such a server would have been plausible but unfortunately it's not. :-( 

Archived