Easter Holiday SALE 40% OFF ends in:

Thank you for support!

[Rev]amped Spawn (With Concepts/Ideas!)

iRandomness

Okay so before I start; This isn't me digging at the current spawn, relatively speaking I personally think it's a nice build, but I've been AFKing around there a fair bit recently; and thought just go through my head.

Extra pretext: When I was one of 3 admins on a very popular vanilla server, I was in charge of the (Huge) spawn build and various concepts, and this is inspired from, well, myself. (Or at least the concepts that worked well.)

New To The Server:

So one idea I had took inspiration from The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, if you've played it, do you remember the beginning? You start in the jail cell and work your way through to the end of what is essentially a tutorial, learning at the very least the basics by the time you hit the end, while at the same time feeling like you were just "Playing the game"? So I incorporated something very much like that in the past; You'd "Wake up" in the sewer of the spawn, which was exclusive only spawned in by people coming to the server for the first time; (/Spawn would be to the main part of spawn, after the "Intro Area"). 

They'd travel through what is essentially a one-way system, learning the rules & Server perks/features along the way, while at the same time having to go through 1 of 2 doors at various intervals that asked a question re: the rules. (Eg. What is Craftersland's opinion on killing other players? A) Kill anyone, anywhere! or B) Only in "Unclaimed" territory.) Picking the right answer would not only advance them further into becoming a server member, but equally double as them actively confirming they understand the rule, thus negating the "Sorry I must have missed that rule" excuse.

The "Main" Spawn:

While the current spawn is a nice build, I think we could agree it is a little empty on features, especially considering the sheer size of it; I was thinking of incorporating more of a community feel about it, a hub of sorts. Like you'd go to spawn on a busy day and people would actually be having a look around, using it, or just generally chilling out.

How we did this was making it essentially a sectored citadel of sorts; So it'd have a dedicated market area, made to look like an actual market, instead of just a few signs on a wall, you'd follow signs to the lumbermill, or blacksmith or farmer's market, go up to the counter, and buy them from signs behind the counter (Maybe even throw a trapped villager "NPC" behind it.)

While we used several /warps on my old server, we don't on Craftersland, but we do have Waystones. So why not make a hot air balloon port, with info of some prominent Waystone locations they can travel to via a docked hot air balloon? If people wanted to make their build public, they could request to have their build added to the "Areas of Interest" board.

I have a few other less priority ideas while brainstorming that I'll just list off and not go into it too much, because their isn't too much to tell, but:

- Staff heads/armour stands - So people know who the "Heirarchy" is, and know who is best to speak to if they're online at any given time.

- Watermill - Instead of "just" an Ender Tank with water at spawn, why not make it look like the water is coming from a source? (Still Ender Tank)

- A Forge - As above, but Lava. Could attach to the Blacksmith.

- Small unused/unusable mod "Showcases" - To show people what some mods are we use, and can be used for. Give people inspiration!

- A Trophy Hall - Think "Employee of the Month" but for significant deeds done by non-staff, in order to show appreciation from us staff.

One upside of every single one of these ideas is that, not only do they generally help with running a smooth server, no extra mods or plugins are used. Other than the Ender Tanks, this could practically be done on a vanilla server with "The Usual" plugins which we already have and use anyway!

If you did get this far, thanks for reading, I do appreciate it! ^_^

• 1 month later...

I enjoy the idea of a more living, breathing spawn. Discussion of a community marketplace has been brought up in another post, and I stand behind the idea. The Market, at current, seems underused. Renting out booths for players to set up shops would be a nice feature. A more fleshed out marketplace with better availability from the perspective of "Staff Shop" items would also be nice to see.

To the Waterwheel and Blacksmith, I say it would bring about a sense of movement to a very stationary spawn. The idea of the Waystones seems nice but would require quite a bit of hashing out to make it a workable feature. The last thing we want is a player to waystone into a lava trap, after all. If people want to have featured builds linked, they would likely need to be preapproved by a member of staff.

I would also enjoy seeing a garden or park area that would showcase the multitude of trees and plant life the server has available for players to use as decorative items. It could provide a place to rest, while also giving ideas for their own builds. I, personally, seem to find new trees, flowers, and terrain regularly, and it keeps me looking for ways to evolve my own claim.

I hope to see some of these ideas brought to life, as it can only mean more players being attracted to the server.

Regards,

Aux

Archived