A week of 'F*** Ups'

Iszy61

Over the course of this week, the Infinity Evolved server has been bombarded by a malicious bunch of Heathens, the two names I know of are Illusi0n and Corbosiny, these two have somehow figured a way to access the server console and restart the server at will, spawning in items and are now reeking havoc by imbalancing players, giving away awakend draconium, quantum solar panels etc. They have even been able to spawn in uncraftable items i.e creative machinist workbench. I have one thing to add...

Bruny, your server needs you!

22 hours ago, Iszy61 said:

Over the course of this week, the Infinity Evolved server has been bombarded by a malicious bunch of Heathens, the two names I know of are Illusi0n and Corbosiny, these two have somehow figured a way to access the server console and restart the server at will, spawning in items and are now reeking havoc by imbalancing players, giving away awakend draconium, quantum solar panels etc. They have even been able to spawn in uncraftable items i.e creative machinist workbench. I have one thing to add...

Bruny, your server needs you!

Well first of all I want to add that both of these players have been banned, Corbosiny getting both a Permanent ban and an IP ban. And for Illusi0n's sake, well do expect staff to have their eyes open for him as he gets unbanned, everyone deserves a second chance and that is something I respect alot with this server, they rarely ever jump straight to a permban. Pretty much the only cases I've seen for permbans are big exploits as Corbosiny did, or Donation scams.- But that had yet to happen when you wrote this post. These players could not have possibly gotten access to the server console, if they did they would have caused more harm than what actually happened. He probably just found a gamebreaking combination that crashed the server- Like in a previous update of FTB if you shift+rightclick a tesseract with a crescent hammer it'd crash you and the server - this is no longer a bug so don't bother trying. 
And as for the spawning in items part, I saw it myself and can confirm that he in some way cheated the items in but it would not be possible using a hacked client as mojang changed how servers and clients handle player's inventories, it is now fully serversided. So I can't really explain how they got access to NEI and creative, but I'm certain that Bruny is looking into it so it will never happen again.

We should all have alot of respect for Bruny and what he does for the servers, you might not realise all the work that actually goes into a server - or even a server network this size! - and he does it all single handedly, for example, just to mention the maintenance that goes on twice every week(mondays and fridays) Bruny goes through all of the forumposts to see if people need an inventory reset, rollbacks, or anything like that. Bruny is an incredible man and sometimes I feel as the players forget that he too is human, he is not always at his PC when stuff like this happens and he's not " ignoring " it, he will get to it as soon as he can. 

3 hours ago, FreeBeer said:

Today the server is crashing all the time again! This needs to stop!

Ah yes, once you fixes one problem another one arrives. 
The biggest cause of crashes on Modded Minecraft are Corrupted Chunks. And this happens because all of the mods are not flawless, they were perhaps not even coded to work together with eachother in the way they are. They are close to perfect, but they can't really get there, Corrupted chunks may accor in similar ways as I mentioned above:

Henk: Like in a previous update of FTB if you shift+rightclick a tesseract with a crescent hammer it'd crash you and the server - this is no longer a bug so don't bother trying. 

But instead this would be something that keeps refreshing, say an autonomous activator, it will start to dig whenever the chunk it is in is loaded and once it is loaded it could cause a crash. And what do you guys do after the server restarts? You wait a few minutes and then try to rejoin. So will the player that is crashing the server, although he can't possibly know that it is him that is crashing the server, he is loading the chunk but he can't possibly know where the issue is at. 
This is very common, and can't be solved automatically - from my knowledge -. Either, the crashing stops once the player gives up trying to reconnect but will resume once he gets back on again, Or we identify who is crashing the server** ( More about this further down ) and then a staff player who isn't bruny can tempban him whilst bruny fixes the server.. so we can all enjoy the server while he's working in the background. Or Bruny catches it early on, does an emergency maintenance and rollsback the chunks. - Although I have heard that the server does have a custom plugin that SHOULD replace blocks that lag/crash the server. But this may only be a rumor as I have not had it confirmed. There is no other way really and it's just very unlucky that this occured right after yesterday's downtime. 

**How you can help to identify who's crashing the server:
Try to join as fast as possible, if you can't get on then you might want to consider that it could be you that is crashing the server and next time try to wait a minute or two to see if it still crashed without you joining. Otherwise try to join as fast as possible, once online hold your tab button until the server crashes, each time a new player logs in take a screenshot. When the server eventually crashes you could look at the last screenshot you took and see who's furthest down the list, or who was the last player to join. Reporting this to Bruny or GM's-Moderators could speed up the healing process.

We've gone thru alot of what happens under the hood of the server but something we haven't even mentioned yet that is quite unique to this server and that we can only thank Bruny for... The lagless.
How many modded servers have you been on that manages to be as lagless as this one? I don't think I have ever managed to find a single one that handles this problem as good as this one, and I can only assume that this has to do with the custom plugins that the server has, and the hourly restarts - These make a HUGE differense!! It is extremely difficult to keep a modded server of this size lagless, and when I say this I speak from experience, you might say that " Well, I do get lag, I drop down to 5fps when I have x and y activated! " Well, that is on your end, that has to do with the unstability of some mods and the power of your computer. What I'm talking about now is input lag, when it takes a second or so to open a chest for example, that is usually the server's " fault ".

But you might've found a modded server that handles lag as good as this one, well then I congratulate you because you most likely managed to join just a few days after they did a worldwipe.

^Uptop Henk, my message was just a lil shoutout for the stuff going down in infinity evolved, I do also feel that our members are lacking in patience and tend to let things get out of control on their side by i.e. complaining 24/7.

• Founder

Looks like there were 3 causes of crashes all caused by mods bugs, I patched 2 mods now to try to prevent the crashes in the future, we will see how it goes. Mods affected:  AE2 and FunkyLocomotion.

Corbosiny was using some hacks and was banned, but this name never joined the server: Illusi0n 

He means illusi0n555, he left off a few numbers. I temp banned the player for 4d, according to the rules. If they come in again and continue their behavior, they will be perm banned, bc they also lied to me about what they were doing.

I've informed @Powerwarpand @brunymanof the methods they used, and hopefully they will be fixed soon.

Archived