Skyfactory 3?

Xb0xgamer

• Founder

Yes we will open a server on SkyFactory 3, can't really tell when, because we need to re-code our plugins on Sponge and it will take some time, we already started and we are working to get a setup done, we will have a topic about this later on. Problem is I did not played skyfactory 3, so the question is, Is it better then SkyFactory 2.5? What are the differences? Should we keep the 2.5 server and open a new one on SkyFactory3? or just update our server to SF3?

I have played SkyFactory 3, but only 2 times. That is because on my computer it takes more then 50 minutes while sf3 starts. I would say it is unplayable on my computer (mainly because of memory - I have 4G RAM). So for that reason i would suggest to keep sf 2.5 around when you introduce sf3 - i hope i am not only one with beefed computer.

As for differences i would say it is completely new modpack, not just upgrade of sf2. For one it uses MC 1.10 and lot of mods in sf2 are not available in sf3. There are newly written mods that replace some items from missing mods but they are/behave somehow different. Number of mods in sf2 and sf3 are almost equal but the mods are different. Some mods are completly missing: Thaumcraft, OpenBlocks, MFR ..., some mods are new and some mods are not there but have newly written mods that are meant to replace them - implementing functionality of old mod but slightly (or drastically) different way (magical crops, extra utilities, AE2, TiC,  ...).

The theme of modpack is preserved and there is same progression needed to be done: 1, gather wood, sift dirt 2. cobble generator, 3. ore processing, 4. power production 5. automated ore processing 6. storage system 7. automated crafting etc... The steps are there but each step is slightly or completely different then what we are used in sf2. Playing sf3 will require learning new mod, figuring out what is available (and what is missing - features that we are used to) and how to use this particular combination of mods to our satisfaction.

All those changes will give to (new and old) player different experience then sf2. all will have to learn a lot and have lot of fun doing so. I was excited waiting for sf3. and it seems playable modpack, but I am also disappointed too...  Disappointed because modpack is much more resource hungry and will not run on weaker computers. As I said it took almost an hour for modpack to load, and even in singleplayer i got occasional lagging issues. Now when I imagine that I will crash sometimes on server (which we all do from time to time) it is unimaginable for me to wait an hour until game restart. Therefore i would suggest to keep sf2.5 around when you start sf3 server. (Or if you decide that there are not that many lame computers like mine - you can terminate sf2.5 server alltogether - I will just have to find some other modpack that will run on my comp)

I played a little but the server was too laggy tps-wise to really enjoy it.  The 1.10 changes affect mostly non-sky block mod packs but the mods themselves are geared towards being new better versions with more stuff and less laggy in general (especially exnihilo).  So they have a new fresh feeling.  One other person said to me the load time was long.  Overall it still has the "power" of SF2-it has Draconic Evolution and exnihilo, Botania, and magic crops, but it has some new changes too, for example instead of fluid cows, there is material chickens.  Thaumcraft 5 is being upgraded to version 1.10.2, and I hear it's gonna have gauntlets instead of wands and I'm sure it will be added to SF3 when it is ready.

I've heard good news about the load times too soon something called foam fix - I guess something related to Sponge, will cut down the load times, personally I'd totally go for it if the TPS issues are fixed, there are even nice decor mods out like chisels and bits where it is done.

Sculpts.png

Skyfactory 3 cleans up some things and makes early game easier. There are some new mods and of course its updated to 1.10.

I think you should have a poll to see what the people of SF2 think.

*edit* Also SF3 is new so alot of bug fixes and updates that add mods will be put out in the near future

• Founder

Yes, I'm working on porting plugins to sponge, this is the main issue. Then we can open a server. I could do some faster progress on coding but I have to spend a lot of time with maintaining the existing servers, checking out reported problems on forum, doing fixes on our existing plugins when reported, so there are days when I don't get time to do any progress porting the mods and this slows me down. If I do read all private messages I get on Forum and Discord then I will no longer do anything else, hah. I will try to get the re-coding of plugins for sponge stage done as fast as I can.

• Yusixs locked this topic

Archived