[DW20 1.12.2] Suggestions

I've been playing on this server for going on 4 weeks now (previously on SF4, SF3, DW20 1.7, Tekkit) and I've had only a few interactions with admins/mods, due to their busy schedules in their personal life.

As far as I'm aware we currently have:

2(two) GMs 
1(one) Admin

As I've been on we generally have 8-20 players on at any given time (which is more players than are generally on other servers with more admin), but the only staff that is on enough to even make a difference is:

1(one) Admin (Ness27)

I guess my first suggestion would be to possibly open up the 'HELPER' applications for the server; however, we currently don't have any 'active' (meaning able to respond to simple issues in a timely manner) GMs so I would possibly suggest transferring admins from other servers to the 1.12 server.

If you do decide to open the HELPER applications once more, I would suggest having all admin join the server for the sake of advertisement as I see hardly anyone applies for any position of management.

Another issue the server is experiencing is Mod issues that prevent any use of a specific mod (Astral Sorcery). 

Solution: Removing them from use or banning them; however, it might be more beneficial to actually fix said issues instead of removing them.

My 3rd issue is: The time since the last world wipe.

To my recollection, it's been over 8 months since our last wipe and it's starting to be noticed, but many dead builds cluttering the world and creating lag, along with a lack of certain natural resources. This causes an issue for newer players to this server, like myself, who have to find more 'creative' ways of finding resources that wouldn't be an issue in a different server.

My last (and certainly not least) issue is the context of Rule #7 and it's application to identifiers such as sexual orientation, gender, or otherwise:

Previously I was banned and forced to remove my name due to the inclusion of the word 'Gay' in my ign, despite it being true and not insulting in any way.

I, along with probably the majority of the world, feel as though descriptors, such as "straight", "tall", "hispanic", 'White" when applied by oneself is not considered inappropriate, so why is "gay"? At this point in time it's starting to feel like (not to mention the other identifiers in other's names, i.e. Straight_as_a_line) that the only descriptor NOT allowed is gay and I find that personally insulting. Avoiding a certain word because of context you give it, despite what it actually means, is prejudice against that group of people. There isn't anything offensive with the word Gay and implying it does implies that the people themselves that are Gay are offensive to the network.

Thank you for taking the time to read this long post and I assure you I mean no offense to any specific player/admin because I simply want to have the best time playing this game, while feeling welcomed and included.

Hi, 

I'll try to hit some of the points you mentioned in your suggestion post.

Staff:

The concern of a lack of staff hasn't been raised to us, even though it may seem by sheer numbers there is a lack of staff, but if you consider the necessity of a staff representative, I believe the number fits the needs. I believe we can both agree that dw20 1.12 has a great community in the past and current which has lead me in my time here to rarely hand out punishments due to rule breaking. From my experience everyone is having a wonderful time and the biggest concern over rule-breaking I receive would be along the lines of- "spam". Which in itself is rare. The larger issue would indeed be bugs and glitches. Most of the time I am helping with players, "How does this work?" or "This mod is broken" or "This item isn't crafting", etc. The last Helper application wave was March 14, just over a month ago, we had 1 applicant focusing on becoming a Direwolf Helper. Theres always been opportunity... I believe we aren't in dire need, but help is always welcomed.

Bugs:

We are aware of bug issues in the pack, but I hope you can understand that we do have other priorities and de-bugging mods can be a hectic task if we don't understand what is causing the issue. Not to mention, Bruny may not have all the time to run maintenance on all servers and attack bug issues for all as well. I did however find a GitHub post relating to the issue we are seeing, however it may not be the same. 

Link For GitHub post -> HERE

Wipe:

Indeed the overworld has had its share of playtime. You've done the right thing coming to suggestions here and requesting it to be looked it, thanks. :)

Rules:

Its sad to say, but more often than not we find players using such terms in a demeaning manor. We have considered the effects of these terms, and we do not want to go down that alley. I'll actually quote Epicfighters, " However, we do not allow anything targeted towards homophobia, religion and other stuff. This is because lots of people get easily offended when talking about these subjects (even if they are not used in a negative way). For example, many people like to say "oh, that's gay" which a fair few people would take offense to, and logically, no "event" can be gay so the saying itself makes no sense really. Summary: The word is of no use and there's no need for it. I see no offense you can take by the word being blocked, it's simply not needed. "

As for the other terms, that is a different question, more specifically you are resorting what is called Tu Quoque, a fallacy basically stating "I have to do this, why doesn't he have to?" 

To further express my concern:

Staff - the reason you haven't had to deal with many issues is because our server has had to take some responsibility preserving the community. If someone asks for help, we help, but a lot of times it's "Just ping @Ness27 on discord b/c no one will be on to help, except him. That's not really fair to you for you have to be on call 24/7 not is it fair to us as it's just a "I guess we won't be helped until you get home" sort of situation. 1 person is not enough to manage 20. 

Bugs - I can completely understand not having time to get to the bugs immediately, but is 4 weeks enough time? That's a month! 

Rules: the issue is that you're justifying a lack of equality by choosing to not deal with it.

I've had my name as TheGayMusician on steam, discord, psn, Xbox, ect and it hasn't been deemed inappropriate, so why is it here? I've never been banned for my name from any server EVER (nor have I for any other reasons) but it is here? And the justification is that? I'm talking 10 years, as well. If you don't see an issue with that then you might need to reevaluate your position. 

If it does become an issue with names then the problem is the player, not the word itself. The word gay is not considered a curse word so why are we treating it with such disdain. It's as important to me as someone would say I was tall as Its who I AM. 

If you have issues with players using it in a derogatory manner then that's an issue with your mods not doing their job and moderating chat. If you have issues with an inability to discern what is offensive you could possibly have a short sensitivity meeting with mods and admins like any other business would. This is not an issue on any other servers I've been on.

And, lastly, "Summary: The word is of no use and there's no need for it. I see no offense you can take by the word being blocked, it's simply not needed. "" is just an misinformed comment with no actual merit. Who is EpicFighters and what makes his opinion worthwhile? Does he speak for the lgbt community or does he think his opinions are more substantial than those of us who are actually living it? That's the issue. Gay is a word and it's something to not be ashamed of, which is exactly the message of including that in rule no. 7.

If this was actually an issue, maybe you should consider banning everyone with Trump, maga, Clinton, Democrat, brexit or any other political stuff that you actively choose to support. There's the real problem.

Can I just say, That I am a prospective player, and am looking to join this server, but everyone is at late game and that kind of makes joining an issue because im not growing with the community and probably just getting hand me downs in an attempt to catch up. This barrier to entry for me and probably other players would be resolved by a wipe. 

As for the mod issues with Astral mod. Fix it ASAP that mod is cool but this pack has garbage balance so it really is not worth it. 

I could not give less shits about the "gay" issues, I mostly care about wipe and mod fixes.