[Ac V1] Removal Of Local Chat Channel.

Jimmel

Hey, everyone.

This one's been bugging me for a while now, so I thought I'd make a topic about it and see what everyone else's view on it is. The thing is, people have been using the Local channel on AC v1 to spam, use caps, ask repetitively for items and whatnot for some time now, which raises the question; Do we actually need an additional channel besides the Global one?

The way I see it, among causing other issues, giving players access to a channel like that makes it that much harder on the staff to actually moderate the chat as a whole, as they have to constantly switch between the two, thus causing confusion, since anyone can claim that they didn't receive a certain verbal warning or message, just because they weren't chatting in that channel at the time.

Personally, I think it'd be better and more convenient if we just removed the Local one altogether, and just kept the Global one. That way, staff will be able to get back to players more quickly, and without having to worry about switching channels at all, which also helps them get a better view of what's going on in the chat when they're away from the spawn area, in which case they can't even see what's being said in the Local channel. Who knows? It might even encourage players to start using private messages and parties more often. 

What do you guys think? Is the Local channel really a necessary one, or does just the Global one do the trick as well?

For me it is a great idea! we could control the users from 1 single channel and be able to see the same thing without changing channel. I as member of Staff, me is very annoying having to be putting the cmd in each channel to notify any member/user :/

i support the idea of closing the chat Local and leave the Global for all. 

without local chat would be chaos, but great idea

How the hell will it be chaos?

People simply abuse everything on AC, from caps to swearing to spawn camping.

If they cant talk in local, then well they have to be nice or get muted or booted.

+1 Jim.

Or just why not have each channel pop up for staff? so lets say If you are on global and some guy far off is in local chat you should have the ability to see the chat still its like socialspy.

Impossible, local chat is from herochat, and socialspy is from essentials.

without local chat would be chaos, but great idea

I don't see how it would be chaos. Yes, lots of people would have to settle for switching to a channel everyone can see, which by itself makes everything much more noticeable and clear, as well as doesn't cause as much confusion. On the other hand, there's a slight chance of having the Global channel get flooded, although I really don't think that would be the case, as players have come to use the Local channel even more than the Global one, as mentioned above.

Or just why not have each channel pop up for staff? so lets say If you are on global and some guy far off is in local chat you should have the ability to see the chat still its like socialspy.

That could work, provided it's possible, even though the main point of this suggestion is to say that everything would be much clearer and more straightforward if players didn't have to switch channels all the time, which also gives the staff a hand when moderating the chat itself.

I'm not saying this is how it should be done. I'm just putting an idea out there, to see what others think of it. ^_^

Impossible, local chat is from herochat, and socialspy is from essentials.

i think it is possible, actually, since when  you speak you run the command /l, and it can be added to what staff see. Anyway, I think we are definitely removing it in AC, or making /g default and /l optional.

You could set the global one to be the default channel, although it wouldn't really make that much of a difference, to be honest. People would just figure it all out and get right back to (ab)using it. If we could just have it removed, that'd be great.

Again, thanks for taking a look at it.

• 3 weeks later...

Would be cool if this was done on the modded servers too.

hey rock. I have a counter to your argument. HELLL NO. Ok now that thats there let me explain why.

This is different than the one on modded servers. On modded servers the rules DONT apply to local chat, which has a limited range of communication anyways. Using local chat to spam is quite ineffective as the only people you are hurting are those near you, who can use /ignore, or leave the area. (if it is in a town, then that person should be kicked from town, if at spawn, just leave spawn). Local chat and global are both used on modded servers as local allows you to speak to many people without everyone knowing. People use local, global, and pms on the modded servers and its fine the way it is. The one thing that should be changed is that instead of starting people off in local, start them out on Global. But all should be kept. Staff should stop messing with modded servers as they have ruined it enough

Archived