A permanent solution to the need for resets

XTEKX

Resets are bandage solutions - in another 6 months, the problems that people are currently complaining about will just come back. The only real way to stop these problems is stricter countermeasures that most servers already have in place. These measures will also (a) reduce server lag, (b) make the map less chaotic, (c) provide incentives to donate, thus making more money for server uptime, and (d) reduce stress and load on the staff.

• Reduce the claim chunk limit from 128. Perhaps set it at 20 (or some number close to that) for new players. Increase the chunk limit as players get more playtime (i.e. after 24 hrs. of playtime, the limit increases to 40, etc.), or when players donate (i.e. donating players can get a higher number of chunks). Not only will this reduce the ability claim large swaths of land and then just not play, it will create another incentive for donations. 128 is a huge number for just anyone to be able to claim - even trolls can just claim 128 chunks, set them to no-entry (which brings me to my next point), and laugh at everyone trying to pass through. 
  • Remove the ability to make towns no-entry. This is ridiculous - trolls can claim a large strip of land and then just make it no entry, forcing players to go all the way around.
  • Remove chunk claims on towns after inactivity. If a player is inactive for more than a month, or some time period, the town claim is deleted and left open for players to reuse that space. Too many chunks are claimed in the current server with highly inactive players who left a while ago. Perhaps players with more playtime and donators can circumvent this rule (another incentive to donate).
  • Create a new world for quarry and turtle usage. Putting them in the main world creates (a) huge ugly holes and (b) a lot of server lag when they're running. Perhaps players with more playtime and donators can use quarries/turtles (i.e. for players who like to create large holes and then build bases in them). This will also be another incentive to donate.

There is a large amount of lag on the server right now, coming dominantly from (a) unused quarries, (b) unused land, (c) huge holes caused by quarries that are not being occlusion culled (if there is a thick layer of dirt/sand, then the underground stone and ores does not have to be rendered - without that layer, the server has to render all of those blocks), and (d) large no-entry chunks that require constant refresh when players try to enter them. These measures will reduce that lag, while making the map cleaner and perhaps making the server more money from donation incentives.

If anyone has any more suggestions, please feel free to add.

I don't know if it happens on Tekkit, but I've seen on this community that claimed land which has nothing valuable and has been inactive for more than a month can be unclaimed and regenerated on request.

Also, 128 chunks is a lot of space to claim, I'd reduce that to what the 1.7.10 servers here have (10 + 10 * number of town members). It's much more reasonable.

Last but not least, quarrying the Overworld burns it very quickly, I agree that something should be done.

On 18/07/2017 at 9:07 PM, XTEKX said:
  • Reduce the claim chunk limit from 128. Perhaps set it at 20 (or some number close to that) for new players. Increase the chunk limit as players get more playtime (i.e. after 24 hrs. of playtime, the limit increases to 40, etc.), or when players donate (i.e. donating players can get a higher number of chunks). Not only will this reduce the ability claim large swaths of land and then just not play, it will create another incentive for donations. 128 is a huge number for just anyone to be able to claim - even trolls can just claim 128 chunks, set them to no-entry (which brings me to my next point), and laugh at everyone trying to pass through. 
  • Remove the ability to make towns no-entry. This is ridiculous - trolls can claim a large strip of land and then just make it no entry, forcing players to go all the way around.
  • Remove chunk claims on towns after inactivity. If a player is inactive for more than a month, or some time period, the town claim is deleted and left open for players to reuse that space. Too many chunks are claimed in the current server with highly inactive players who left a while ago. Perhaps players with more playtime and donators can circumvent this rule (another incentive to donate).
  • Create a new world for quarry and turtle usage. Putting them in the main world creates (a) huge ugly holes and (b) a lot of server lag when they're running. Perhaps players with more playtime and donators can use quarries/turtles (i.e. for players who like to create large holes and then build bases in them). This will also be another incentive to donate.
  • Reduce the claim chunk limit from 128.
    Probably wouldnt do anything as most of the "annoying" towns are only 1-5 chunks in size.
  • Remove the ability to make towns no-entry.
    Not gonna happen, this is more useful than you would think.
  • Remove chunk claims on towns after inactivity.
    We do this already...
  • Create a new world for quarry and turtle usage.
    This wouldnt help lag at ALL, seeing as it would be the same as having 2 worlds, and there are much more complicated issues that i can go really indepth with if needed.

On 7/19/2017 at 4:53 AM, RandomNukes said:

guess that's what mystcraft is for, just create a normal flatworld...

New players can't do this. Players who don't know how to use mystcraft can't do this. Relying on players to reduce lag is pointless: most players have no idea how to reduce lag.

19 hours ago, Nukelar said:
  • Reduce the claim chunk limit from 128.
    Probably wouldnt do anything as most of the "annoying" towns are only 1-5 chunks in size.
  • Remove the ability to make towns no-entry.
    Not gonna happen, this is more useful than you would think.
  • Remove chunk claims on towns after inactivity.
    We do this already...
  • Create a new world for quarry and turtle usage.
    This wouldnt help lag at ALL, seeing as it would be the same as having 2 worlds, and there are much more complicated issues that i can go really indepth with if needed.

I completely disagree - most of the annoying claim are towns that stretch a lot of chunks in one direction, effectively creating a wall where players can't claim (and there's also a 3 or 5 chunk buffer on top of that).

Also, you can restrict no-entry to players who have played for a while/have donated so that trolls can't do it (nor can players who build the aforementioned claim wall).

Make the chunk claim removal automatic, because a lot of players who want to build cannot without an admin present (and they don't know about Discord). Newer and younger players thus don't even play bc they can't figure it out and since the barrier for entry to servers is so low, they just quit and go to another server.

12 minutes ago, XTEKX said:

I completely disagree - most of the annoying claim are towns that stretch a lot of chunks in one direction, effectively creating a wall where players can't claim (and there's also a 3 or 5 chunk buffer on top of that).

Also, you can restrict no-entry to players who have played for a while/have donated so that trolls can't do it (nor can players who build the aforementioned claim wall).

Make the chunk claim removal automatic, because a lot of players who want to build cannot without an admin present (and they don't know about Discord). Newer and younger players thus don't even play bc they can't figure it out and since the barrier for entry to servers is so low, they just quit and go to another server.

Right, let me get this straight.

You made it clear about how you think that most inactive town are "Big long lines to stop people from claiming" well, no thats not the case ive cleared nearly 400 towns now and i would say ~80% are under 5 chunks and ~90% under 20 ive only encountered your situation about 10 times, so like i said, that is not a "most" more like "a very small some"

"Also, you can restrict no-entry to players who have played for a while/have donated so that trolls can't do it (nor can players who build the aforementioned claim wall)."

This could be possible, but would be hard to implement into the PEX config probably, so like i said, not happening

"Make the chunk claim removal automatic"

Again, this is possible, but if we turn said option on in config it does NOT regenerate bases, thats why we do it manually.

Currently if a player wants to expand the SOP is to post a town removal in the technical support page.  This guarantees you get the results you want.  I like this system, only people serious about expanding their claim stay for very long. Also this give us the chance to regen which destroys all the holdings within the town, just dropping the claim automatically leaves a lot of stuff out there in the world creative and endgame-wise. Said items directly impact how long players stay on tekkit. 

• Founder
  1. So should we reduce max claim size? Everyone agrees? 
  2. On modded servers no entry flag is an extra protection for your claim.
  3. We do this cleanup on request now, an automatic system may be more efficient, but right now we are busy with coding on other projects.
  4. I do not like to limit players freedom and limit quarry usage, players can quarry in Deep Dark or mystcraft. 

The server will still need a WIPE time to time right now the time interval is 6 to 8 months, on WIPE we also generate new map seeds.

For players like myself who really like to build, 128 chunks is barely enough.  If we are going to reduce that number for players there needs to be a way that Sponsors can have larger claims.

The no entry option for towns is great.   I would be nice if it wouldn't send you back to spawn though. Maybe just keep you from going in.  I'm assuming that it is easier said than done or it would be that way already.

I think we need a pinned post for request to remove inactive towns so we can formalize the removal and maybe keep the server running smoother for longer.  

We have mystcraft for quarries.  There is nothing complicated about creating a random myst world for mining even for beginners.  I would be in favor of banning quarries on the main map though unless they are being used for base construction.  

Get a mystcraft age and build there? and that way you have the whole world to your disposal and not take a huge part of the Overworld. 128 chunks is quite a lot... and since sponsors have access to creative can chunkload all those... thus increasing the lag. I think that is the main reason why the worlds start lagging so much in the last few months before a wipe.

Archived