Hey guys,

Well a lot has changed here, and many of you probably don't know me.

I used to be a staff member here about 3 years ago, and retired for academic related reasons.

Before leaving however, i was trying to convince @brunyman to employ a replacement for MyTown2 (Enabling raiding/pvp etc) on modded servers.

However we could not find a replacement, as Factions didn't want to support Modded MC. So i took an axe to MyTown2, and created my own protection mod.

I call it the Empires Mod v1.7.10 (1.8 soon):

I need a little bit of help, but it's 98% finished, and can be released like this. It just lacks relationships (truce/ally/enemy).

Check it out and lemme know what you all think, PS: Brunyman could you reply to my PM's on Discord (username: A-2070)

~Andrew2070

I could see this being a plugin we could have on a factions modded server if that was ever to become a thing but I would never want to see it as a replacement of mytown2 on the current servers- as far as I know about factions it would essentially let you grief and raid a claimed area? 

Not to mention this isn’t something we can do in the middle of the lifespan of a server, as it would unclaim everything until someone claimed with this plugin. 

It looks like a solid plugin and good job in creating it but I see no problem with Mytown2 as it’s in my opinion the better out of the three claim plugins we have and I would be against switching.

Thank You!

I'm not suggesting an immediate replacement, i'm merely stating the following:

• Empires Mod isn't finished, i still need about a week or two to get relationships between empires finished, and a compiling script done.
  • MyTown2's developers have quit, and made their code open to all for editing/forking, they were considering abandoning 1.7.10 for 1.8.

Empires isn't a radical change from MyTown2.

What I did was, I took their code, hacked it apart and made it more efficient and removed stupid concepts like being able to join 10 towns at once.
I left support for user-generated JSON protection files. Meaning any server owner can write a 20 line script and drop it into a folder for any mod.
This is how the current MyTown2 system works. There are 1000's of custom protection files already made on their Github page.
You simply drag and drop it in for all the mods the server has, and if there isn't a file it's quite easy to write one.
What this does is prevents people from using certain tools in claims, right clicking with certain items, keeping modded fluids from flowing in, etc.
So it's plug and play.

As for raiding,
I've employed a factions type of concept of "power". Each player starts with 1.00 power. It grows by a configuration set amount of time.
The maximum power (20) is set in the configuration and so is the minimum (-20.00 for instance), which can be changed by server owners.
When a Empire has less power than territory (i.e from player(s) losing power), then it's territory is open for claiming not griefing.

So let's say EmpireA has 18 power and 20 land. That means EmpireB can un-claim those 2 unpowered chunks, and edit the terrain afterwards.
Given that the player doing the un-claiming in EmpireB has a minimum of 7.00 power, and is an Officer/Leader.

Basically any land protected by the Empire, will be protected by JSON files (like MyTown2). No Grief, No modded grief, no bypass, no harm.
When that Empire lacks the "power" to support its claims, then only can it be first unclaimed, then griefed.

So Empire Wars look like multiple Empires trying to kill each others players and reduce their power, so as to get the other side weak enough.

As for replacement. You could simply delete MyTown2 and place Empires in, and it'll read the same DB files the same way. (iirc)
Even if it doesn't, it's not that hard to code, would be similar to importing contacts from Android to IOS.

https://github.com/Andrew2070/Empires-Mod

1 hour ago, Andrew2070 said:

What I did was, I took their code, hacked it apart and made it more efficient and removed stupid concepts like being able to join 10 towns at once.

We currently allow a max amount of 3 towns per player, which I think is a pretty reasonable amount of towns given that we don't allow far claims :-)

I'm impressed by your work, sure, but it seems like a lot of effort for something that we aren't really that interested in in the first place- I like the idea of factions and I've seen and played a fair bit of vanilla factions- but in my opinion for a factions server to work well you would have to get a dedicated server focused around that specific theme. Like we had back in the day with Archepvp, we can't just add this onto Infinity evolved for example and then let one player stomp on the other who have progressed towards a set goal for months- because that's how slow progression is there - It would discourage players from continuing playing on Craftersland. While I agree that some players enjoy the pvp aspect I think that should be on it's on server if anything. 
Heck, while we actually took a step in the other direction having a pretty serious talk about adding a plugin that would allow player to "toggle" pvp on or off for themselves, due to complaints.- this would be taking a leap in the other direction. 

I'm thinking about the majority of the playerbase here- on the other hand having some protection bypasses fixed would be nice but that is far from a major problems on the server today anyways.

1 hour ago, brunyman said:

Hi, why don't you finish the last 2% if you already did all that work?

Knowing your inventive Java knowledge, i was wondering if you could help me finish it.

The problem is, in all my experience with modding never have i required the need for ASM.
Turns out ASM is preventing me from compiling, so i'm continuing to add features to the base of the mod until i can figure out what's wrong with it or the gradle script.

Also @Henk

I would never expect such a change for someone that has returned out of oblivion, with something relatively new and untested.
The point was, I just wanted to see a reaction before i released, because i imagine that will be before the end of this month. (when/if i fix my ASM code).

People dislike change, i understand. But sometimes keeping your options open is the best way forward. I'm not suggesting that CL even think about this.
I'm stating that I have a replacement to MyTown2 universally, be it CL or any other network or small friends server. The point is to have fun at the end of the day.

I believe the modded universe lacks a touch of PvP. So when I release, it'll be the first ever Nation simulating, PvP encouraging, and modded protection provider.
My goal was always to make a mod that didn't exist, and this is it. In the history of modded MC there hasn't been anything similar to factions. Ever.

So,
Respectfully, I am kindly requesting @brunyman to help me finish the last 2%, it's been two years. My team is gone, I need some help. Not ashamed to ask for it.

Thanks for the feedback though :)

So,

Respectfully, Brunyman is our only developer and he’s knee’s deep into everything and is balancing it perfectly- While I understand you want to complete your plugin I don’t see how Craftersland plays a part in it if we don’t even intend to use it.

Developers are usually really expensive and I don’t really see any reason for our- or rather Bruny’s- efforts.

Thats a realy nice plugin m8.

Once u are finished u could work on makin it upwards compatible and not just 1.7.10 so there might be more faction like modded server in the Future.

Tbh this would change alot on the current modded servers, it mostly depends on what modpack is runnin. Look at IE Expert mode ... if u lose smt there its RLY slowing down your progress, it might work on easier modpacks like Direwolf or Revelation and stuff but i am quite sure it wont work on harder modpacks ;)

But never the less it's a nice plugin and welcome back m8 ;) 

On 5/14/2018 at 8:17 PM, Imperatus said:

Thats a realy nice plugin m8.

Once u are finished u could work on makin it upwards compatible and not just 1.7.10 so there might be more faction like modded server in the Future.

Tbh this would change alot on the current modded servers, it mostly depends on what modpack is runnin. Look at IE Expert mode ... if u lose smt there its RLY slowing down your progress, it might work on easier modpacks like Direwolf or Revelation and stuff but i am quite sure it wont work on harder modpacks ;)

But never the less it's a nice plugin and welcome back m8 ;) 

Thanks Imperatus! :D
I'm going to make it compatible for 1.8 and 1.1

I agree, modded servers are used to playing without raiding mechanisms.
It really does depend on the Pack, because certain ones have ICBM, flans, etc which are meant for raiding, while others don't.
However it's always a matter of choice, i'm just trying to make MyTown2 more "modern", fix up its bugs and add some features.
So i might just make those configurable, so server owners can get new features but not have to enable raiding to use them. 

Maybe one day we would add this on a server designed for it, I'm neither saying that we will or that we won't- but for our current servers it doesn't match

Thank you for your suggestion, T/C

• Henk locked this topic

Archived