Next Wipe?

Eden20

The world is currently about 4 months old. A wipe usually happens after 6 months and I've heard it even get as old as 9 months.

So I can't really tell you when it will happen, but earliest in ~two-three months I'd say.

This server just operate the first time so I think it can be wiped sooner than the regular time, and I heard that at the first day some player have crafted many of certus wrench when the admin not setup the mode to expert yet. But if we wipe, I hope that the new world will be:

- Less Mushroom island

- Less villages but more dungeons, strongholds and abadoned mine

- Less rain so solar-dependent stuff can work (on desert biome there is no rain but the sky become darker)

- And x4 vote rewards for 1 week after a wipe :D

I don't think we can do much about controlling the world gen. So for the mushroom islands and dungeons I doubt we can do much about it... We could just find a luckier seed with less mushroom islands :-)
This goes for rain too, the rain is on alot because it's expert mode and it's suppose to be difficult for solar panels to function, reducing this would not keep the true expert feeling. Now, we still do this sometimes if a sponsor is online but I rest my case.

You're right, it might not take the whole 9 months but I would be very surprised if it wouldn't take 6 months. There is still alot of figuring out to do before we clean the slate, and as for the x4 vote rewards that's network wide and only happens at the first week of the month. I suggested before that it were to be added to Tekkit when it got it's wipe to draw more attention to the server, this was not heard. 

We'll see what the higherups thinks of the proposition but in the end it's still up to Bruny to decide for or against an earlier wipe :-)

9 hours ago, Henkekalmar said:

I don't think we can do much about controlling the world gen. So for the mushroom islands and dungeons I doubt we can do much about it... We could just find a luckier seed with less mushroom islands :-)

FTB IE got "Biomes'o'plenty" mod, that means @brunyman can tweak weight of diffrent biomes. Or exclude some of them. But as @Henkekalmar sayed, it`s easyer to just hope for better seed.

9 hours ago, Henkekalmar said:

This goes for rain too, the rain is on alot because it's expert mode and it's suppose to be difficult for solar panels to function, reducing this would not keep the true expert feeling. Now, we still do this sometimes if a sponsor is online but I rest my case.

Not exactly. Friquent rain is "Blood magic"s mod fault. There is script for bad weather if someone use "Harmfull" way to generate blood for altar ("Well of suffer" ritual, or many manual sacrifices)

You can see "May cause bad weather" on sacrafice dagger in description.

About wipe, it will happend only in 2 cases. Server dies because of lag, and all map littered with towns and mined out spots. (Wich is not a case atm)

Or, if Overwhelming majority of players will vote for wipe in some Poll. By "Overwhelming majority" i mean like 90%. Only because this modpack is hard to progress, and people will not want to start all over again without good reason.

I think this was a great seed and as for the rain, I just make a roof.  Problem solved.  Of course if we can have like 100 dungeons within 1 player base it would be good too.  Imagine how many thaumium and division sigils we could get in like 5 minutes.  I also think we should add more thaumcraft nodes, and increase the ratio of danger nodes.  Everyone makes a big deal about hungry nodes so having like 5% of nodes be hungry wouldn't hurt I think.

PS we could also get load of iridium really fast and make the certus wrench even faster.

4 hours ago, QuartzWitch said:

I think this was a great seed and as for the rain, I just make a roof.  Problem solved.  Of course if we can have like 100 dungeons within 1 player base it would be good too.  Imagine how many thaumium and division sigils we could get in like 5 minutes.  I also think we should add more thaumcraft nodes, and increase the ratio of danger nodes.  Everyone makes a big deal about hungry nodes so having like 5% of nodes be hungry wouldn't hurt I think.

PS we could also get load of iridium really fast and make the certus wrench even faster.

I'm think so until I begin forestry bees, the time tech to the Alveary cost up to several months because the sky rain for each 5 minutes after the rain stop.

I don't think you guys realize that it's meant to be this hard. It's purposefully designed to take a lot of time, and to hamper you as much as possible. The game is currently being played as it's meant to be played. To add the changes you guys want would defeat the purpose of basic items being difficult to obtain.

As to a wipe, I do not believe we will have one for a while yet. It's only been a few months since it was opened, and we typically wait at least 6 months before considering a wipe. Even though this pack is tough, and bases can get pretty big and laggy, we do try to keep the worst offenders down by removing old towns.

You could try asking again in a few months, maybe.

• 3 weeks later...

would be nice if the server would automaticly delete old towns if no resident came online for that time of 2 months

but to get back to the guys problem, you can disable rain on your client side in video settings, to improve performance

and there are a few more settings that could improve it

i have no lag at all, but i assume not everyone has a big PC, so a lot can be improved on the graphic settings of the game without needing a wipe

5 hours ago, dirtwrap said:

would be nice if the server would automaticly delete old towns if no resident came online for that time of 2 months

I discussed this with quagma and Skilande not long ago and we came to the conclusion that it would cause too many issues and rollback requests that may not be possible. It's better to do it by hand when there's also a human choice :). 

Besides, it's not that difficult to clear a town.

Server plugin "MyTown" have option for daily upkeep cost. After some time, if no one payed, town will be deleted. You guys want upkeep? It`s totally possible, and even increase server votes friquency.

1 hour ago, Timur said:

Server plugin "MyTown" have option for daily upkeep cost. After some time, if no one payed, town will be deleted. You guys want upkeep? It`s totally possible, and even increase server votes friquency.

I don't know how much this upkeep will cost... because in 1st week we got 200$ and in other weeks only 50$. If this upkeep will cost more than 100$ i disagree.

So far there is NO upkeep cost. But it CAN be implemented, in theory. But as Henkekalmar sayed...

On 01.04.2017 at 3:25 PM, Henkekalmar said:

...it would cause too many issues and rollback requests...

So, as for now, if you have town interrupting your expansion, you can ask high staff member to remove it. (GM and up)

And if ALL residents of this town was offline more then 1 month, town will be deleted.

• 3 weeks later...

We don't want upkeep costs. 

Would it automatically remove the town if upkeep cost is not met?
First off that would result in alot of member not realise upkeep cost is drawn from the town bank and not your own balance... leading to a bunch of towns getting deleted automatically and griefed. Leading to alot of work for Brunyman. Even if this would be done properly it would not be how we would want things to be done, like it would remove the protection to inactive towns, welcoming the town up for griefing and raiding.

We don't want to promote griefing behaviour and therefore whenever we remove towns due to inactivity we make sure to regen the base first. And an upkeep cost would turn our currently controlled enviroment into something unstable and messy. Not to mention how ugly the world would look with griefed bases every here and there.

Now, your point changing the plugin to only disable building would force those who have no interest in partake in the economy side of the server to do so. Everyone is suppose to be able to play the modpack however they like, with or without the economy aspect. That is why enough money is given when you start off to create a town and claim a few chunks, really after that point economy is not required at all.

On 24.04.2017 at 6:02 PM, Henkekalmar said:

Now, your point changing the plugin to only disable building would force those who have no interest in partake in the economy side of the server to do so. Everyone is suppose to be able to play the modpack however they like, with or without the economy aspect. That is why enough money is given when you start off to create a town and claim a few chunks, really after that point economy is not required at all.

Agree, eco part of the game is not important. But, trading is not the only way to get money. Primary way to earn money is VOTING. And voting is much more important then placidity of players.

Without money spendings, player's currency tend to accumulate in large amounts. That is why THIS issue accurs. (I know it`s SF server, but same issue.)

On some server i seen plugin using money as fuel for chunkloading. I suggested @brunyman to use similar plugin. Sadly i don`t know what plugin that was.

How chunkloading is on CL is much different how chunkloading is on most server - aslong with this "chunkloading plugin". And to be frank I think that would drastically reduce the tps even further if such a plugin were to be added.

How Craftersland deal with Chunkloading is that it only chunkloads when you are online and depending on the lag of the server how intensive the chunkloading is and to what degree it loads. From what I've experienced on the servers

We did a great job in reducing the tps a few weeks back but something else seems to be messing it up now. The question about wiping the server is bigger than ever.

2 hours ago, Henkekalmar said:

How chunkloading is on CL is much different how chunkloading is on most server - aslong with this "chunkloading plugin". And to be frank I think that would drastically reduce the tps even further if such a plugin were to be added.

First of all, read more carefully. I sayed this chunkloading plugin use MONEY to work.

Seccond, as far as I know current chunkloaders (World anchors and MFR chunkloader on FTB IE) works even if player offline. Chunkloading plugin works ONLY when player online.

But i`ll repeat, I don`t know what plugin it is, it may be even custom written.

2 hours ago, Timur said:

First of all, read more carefully. I sayed this chunkloading plugin use MONEY to work.

Seccond, as far as I know current chunkloaders (World anchors and MFR chunkloader on FTB IE) works even if player offline. Chunkloading plugin works ONLY when player online.

But i`ll repeat, I don`t know what plugin it is, it may be even custom written.

I did infact read that you mentioned it using money, I still think the same. Money is quite easy to come by and it would just result in more loaded chunks overall.

And no, chunkloaders - even MFR ones DO NOT work when you are offline. I know that for a fact, no Idea if GM's happened to have some bypass for it, but I am certain of it.

This topic was meant to discuss when a wipe is or if it's time for a wipe, if you want to request a plugin please make a new topic :-)

Topic has become derailed from the main point: Whether or not to wipe the server. Please make separate topics for those suggestions in the suggestions area of the forums. 

Currently, as it is, we still have a good two months to go before things start getting really bad, at which time a wipe will become more than likely to be mandatory. Generally we do wipes every six months, but due to this packs nature (it's slowness of progression and it's difficulty) it is likely that we will be going a little while longer than the usual length of time. In the meantime, the solution is to find old towns and remove them to reduce lag. Any laggy, currently being used, bases will be monitored and reduced with the consent of the base owner.

If you really want a wipe, it is suggested to make a poll for it to determine what the players currently want.

Topic closed due to derailed topic and problem set aside for later.

• quagma locked this topic

Archived