Hi everyone!

I thought that with a new server and a new home for it, it would be helpful to have a thread dedicated understanding some of the inevitable quirks that are present on every server.  I have been playing the FTB Mods for a long time, so long that we didn't even have Feed The Beast, it was just the individual mods!  I have been on modded servers since Tekkit released for the first time, so I have seen my fair share of servers over the years.  I can honestly say that CraftersLand is one of the best servers out there for FTB.  That of course, does not mean that its perfect, far from it, but I have never seen a server with any where near this much staff involvement and engagement.

With that said, every server (yes EVERY server) has its own little quirks that can steepen the learning curve and possibly frustrate some players if they are not made aware of them and are told how to prevent them from ruining their day.  I would like to compile a list of these quirks and solutions here in this thread for any new to mid player to read.  Many of you veteran members will no doubt already know about many of these and how to get around them and thats awesome!  If you know of any quirks and solutions that are not in this list here, post them below and I will add them to the list up here at the top for all to see (with credit to the author).

This is NOT a place to complain about the server!!!  We have a whole subsection of the forums dedicated to that.  Any posts simply complaining about a problem will be removed!  If you would like to post something, please make sure that it meets the following rules:

-State the problem/effect and is specific and known.

-State the cause of the problem or what triggers it (if you can, if not, take a guess).

-State a specific solution or workaround to the problem that you know fixes and/or prevents it from happening.

Hopefully this will help some people out and cut down on some of the frustration we see with early players!  Thanks everyone!

Problem- 

Chests emptying themselves in protected bases.  " I went to get something out of my chests and everything in it was gone!"

Cause-

This is most likely caused by the Smeltery Bug where things (like chests) in the same chunk as the smeltery can have their values reset to zero/empty.

Solution-

Treat the Smeltery like a leaking nuclear reactor, you do not want it in the same chunk with something that you are not prepared to lose!  Always make sure that your smeltery is contained to a single chunk and do not place any chests or multiblock structures within the same chunk as your smeltery.

Akademee

Problem-

All of my ME cables (or other multiblock structure) are all broken and not connecting to each other (or multiblock won't work even though it is assembled).

Cause-

This is most likely caused by a bug where multiblocks and some cables that are in the same chunk as a world anchor block or other chunk loader can become disconnected after a reset or severe server lag.

Solution-

Make sure that you do not have any multiblock structures or ME cables sharing a chunk with the world anchor BLOCK.  All of the rest of the loaded chunks surrounding that center loaded chunk will be fine and do not exhibit this problem.  This only happens in the one chunk that contains the world anchor block.

Akademee

Problem-

Smeltery not melting items even though item's progress bar in the smeltery controller is completely full.  Smeltery taking FOREVER to melt somethign with correct setup/materials.

Cause-

Not entirely sure, it might be a TPS (ticks per second) balancing thing.  Possibly poor personal chunk loading without an anchor or something.

Solution-

If you don't have a chunk loader block of some kind, your personal 'chunk loading range' of your player is only like, two chunks or something.  Try doing some work in the chunk that contains your smeltery and remember, always keep your entire smeltery in one chunk!  I have also found that the progress bar advances graphically, but that doesn't mean that it has actually advanced as far as the server is concerned.  I have found that it helps to rapidly click anywhere in the Smeltery Controller GUI for a few seconds and the progress bar returns to where it 'actually' is.  This is a strange one for sure.

Akademee

Problem-

Cyclic Assemblers will randomly cease to function even with correct setup and materials supplied.

Cause-

Not entirely sure, may be a balancing thing or lag prevention, Cyclics are extremely powerful autocrafting tools, especially for early game so I could understand that if they got nerfed.

Solution-

For mid game, constant crafting, you can use Liquicrafters instead but they need a redstone pulse in order to craft a single item.  I would not recommend the redstone timer as while it is adjustable, it causes a lot of lag.  Use redstone clock blocks instead as they are very low lag, but fixed at 20 ticks per pulse.  Protip, redstone clock blocks aren't synced with each other, so if you place two redstone clocks in contact with a liquicrafter, you can get two crafts per second rather than 1.  The server does not like more than two clock blocks in a chunk at a time, if you place a third, it will get stuck.

Another workaround (the one I use) is that you can autocraft with an Extra Utilities Transfer node (with a world interaction card) connected to a crafting table with 1-9 JABBA barrels or tiny-chests (for non-consumable tools) behind it to form a crafting grid.  You can look up more about this online, but you can dramatically increase the speed on this one with speed upgrades.

Akademee

• 1 month later...

Problem- 

Alloy Smeltory (ender io) is not working, "it suddenly stopped working, and starts again when it want to"

Cause-

As much as i know, it has something to do with the prevention of server lag.

Solution-

The most recipes for an Alloy Smeltory can be replaced by an Induction Smeltroy.The Recipes wich cant replaced, i recomment bigger setup for Alloy Smeltroy, wich is nonstop  processing, for example "Energetic Alloy".  Of course with an World Anchor (Chunkloader). Dont forget that Chunkloaders should not be in same Chunk as your cables and multiblock-structers