[Concept] New Community Server

Powerwarp

Community Server  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Would you play this server?

• Yes, I would.
    • No, I wouldn't.
  2. 2. What type of minecraft would you like?

• Vanilla
    • Project ozone pack
    • Tech World
    • Magic World
    • Everything is Hostile
    • TerraFirmaPunk
    • Tech Magic Industry's
    • Hermitcraft Modsauce 2
    • CrackPack
    • ResonantRise v3

I'm just wondering if any of the people voting for tech magic industry have looked at the mod list for it. It's more basic than tekkit, with only a dozen mods. It's like a starter pack for starter packs. No offense meant, but it doesn't seem like it would be much fun, not to mention it's a custom pack, which we haven't had much luck with.

I think people think of WA with a few extra mods when they imagine a typical mod pack for 1.710.  I made a post about fixing WA so it has magic and is more fun, but there has been little activity there:

Blood Magic, Botania, Thaumcraft, Thaumic Tinkerer, Draconic Evolution, Minechem, Mystcraft, remove Rftools PneumaticCraft, Chisel, IC2, Agricraft, Decocraft, ComputerCraft, Powerconverters, Railcraft, Steves Carts, Tinkers Construct, Thermal Recycling, vein miner, vending might save the server. (Basically add magic, remove the OP ness and redundent unpopular or common, add some new stuff) might save the server, or at least make some people come back.

Also definitely remove logistics pipes too.

WA is very stable already so that's the good thing.  I agree that TMI seems to have less mods than a typical pack, but maybe that is what players want.  I think a 1.10 mod pack with few mods such as thaumcraft 5 would be more fun.  I can see a lot of votes went to RR but that is inferior to that WA described above plus I think there are already other servers to play RR.  I guess there might be a new poll in the future to see if players who voted would still be interested in a smaller list of packs.

The point is to not have a repeat of the WA and PB fiascos. I've been advocating for RR3 since the beginning of us considering extra packs, and I have good reasons for it too. I don't mean to detract from the point of the poll, so I'll add my comments on custom packs elsewhere.

One of the reasons why I believe RR3 to be a good choice for a pay-to-enter server is because it has something for everyone. It's not a Skyblock, which means it won't be as easy as Skyfactory. It doesn't focus on just one aspect of things, like tech only, or post-apocolypse, it tries to be as balanced as possible between the two. It has both tech and magic. It also has iguana tweaks, for those who want their game more difficult. It also has decoblocks and chisel, for the builders, and exploration mods, like biomes-o-plenty and dungeons, for those who like to travel. There's more difficult monsters, and I think it might also have blood moons to make the occasional difficult nights. 

Basically, RR3 has something for everyone, and it even comes with a lite version for those who don't have beefy computers. Although, I would suggest enabling all the mods if we picked RR3.

I get that you guys like custom packs, and I'm glad that players are getting out and learning to put them together, but they can be a real hassle to maintain.

But go ahead, pick whichever one you feel like. Whatever the decision, the community will support it.

No, I think it's good that we talk about the mod packs we like I just hope some other people would comment too, like for example all those that voted vanilla.  RR4 wouldn't have particle accelerators and fusions with minechem, and ztones (decor blocks different than chisel finally) and also would have too many mods, like rftool (everyone makes dimensions just like dw20) and ic2, which no one likes.  I think the main reason WA got bad was cuz well at first it was popular (good for 1 season) then the helpful members that made suggestions, got turned on by the mods who think they know everything and got this pipe dream plan on the direction of the modpack that ignores everyones good suggestiins and basicakly makes no progress in the pack by making it almost good, only lacking some balancing and magic mods.  So the players that actually talk and make suggestions got ignored and the staff got their bubble of yes players that agreed with them and made them staff.  Meanwhile, it got boring because everyone got done with basically everything double as fast as in dw20 because there was no magic mods to do also.  Once they were done, mostly players had only 1 thing to do anymore... get really op with the op mods agricraft and rftools.  (This usually is not a problem because there are magic mods or something to do to distract you) the modpack wasn't really community ever anymore with the staff.  They only turned on the players who talked aND tried to suggest things which were 99 % of the time not in their perfect plan that will probably come out after hl3.  People in the chat then tried to have fun by making towns or talking about getting really op.  This caused the new players to be like servants to the old players, or get done with the pack so fast.  Or, the new players would find some tricks to get progress really fast and get bored faster with nothing left to do.  By this time, the staff was totally not saying anything to the players, basically just ignoring the suggestions and going after the players they don't like or being rude.  The modpack then started to quickly lose players making the staff more against the players and to themselves.  I waited a while to see what would happen but then I quit when basically there were no players that ever said anything left unbanned or didnt quit.  I guess later on after that it even got worse even when there was only like 2 people on max and also staff had no more time to work on the pack.  If they were listening to the suggestions and making friends it would have been better.   So I guess the point is that the problem was a unique one that probably won't happen again, and easily fixable.  Custom modpacks aren't inherently bad.  As for PB that problem was it sounded good, but Andrew tricked everyone as the modpack was not stable and also not even done yet (even when the server was permanently down he told everyone to join).

1 hour ago, craftyguy23 said:

Agreed, I would not pay for vanilla as everything is just restrictive and primitive (not bad mind you, but modpacks add so much content). Only thing vanilla is good for is factions, and that would defeat the non-cancerous intent of the server.

A vanilla server has a lot of potential when good people play, there is definitely room for awesomeness. I know I might be in the minority here next to all the tech-savvies, but on the subject of modpacks, I think they are a bit too overrated, not only are they really buggy occasionally, but at some point I just get bored when I get everything I can ever have.

6 hours ago, faves said:

why would someone pay 5$ for a vanilla server, there is nothing that is banned that would be wortht he 5$ to have unbanned

People who want a friendly server would. But then again I don't know much about the banned items in modded servers, so I'm not gonna bash the idea.

I like the idea of having an UHC server, but it's sort of expensive for $5. But this could mean we could give cash prizes or free ranks as rewards for winning. I will probably do a modded server first and depending how that goes we can implement a vanilla server.

The problem is I don't actually know how many people will actually pay to play on it - we already have a lot of vanilla servers, so players will just play that for free instead of paying to play, which is completely understandable and logical. I know for a fact that over half of people who say they will play won't actually, as there is a difference between wanting something and actually paying for it. I just get the feeling that there is more real support for a modded server.

I like this idea. A base fee of $5 is more than acceptable for everyone. I rather pay a tiny amount and help the server run. However, this base fee would increase my expectation about server uptime, lag, and staff enforcement of rules and due diligence.

I personally vote for RR 3. Although I do think that the voting method might need to change into an auto runoff at some point. As I would not pay for vanilla, but would for some of the other packs.

Of all the people that join I think staff should be elected from that pool, and that periodically there would be votes for new staff members or for current staff to retain their seat. Also if a staff is getting on the wrong side of players they can be removed by a suitable vote.

Everything being unbanned is interesting, and I like that idea. However, the rules need to be super clear and harsh. Also intent and combing of server logs would also need to occur. If a person made a machine that lagged the server, whether or not that was intentional matter. 

• brunyman unpinned this topic
  • 1 month later...

Completely forgot about this :P. I will hope to try get the server released. Has anything changed with pack picks?

20 hours ago, Yoboss said:

I wouldn't mind donating for the server upkeep each month

I don't think this will be necessary if we get enough people joining :P. But thank you anyways.

• 5 weeks later...

Personally, I think players like technology and such more than other categories of mods. It's more practical and usable. Rather than the whole thing being based on magic or something that just basically makes people with lots of things more overpowered, it would be a better idea to have a non-pvp tech server with an active quantity of events/incentives to play. 

Not to mention lots of people not being able to run large packs like FTB or Skyfactory anyway ( like me ). Tekkit is the only server I've ever staffed on because it doesn't totally tank your fps or processing speed, which is why it's the only server I've spent more than 15 minutes not on a loading screen with. 

Thats just a practical suggestion, mainly to open the market of people to virtually everyone, not just people with modern, higher end computers.

On Fri Apr 07 2017 at 6:32 PM, Larry Newman said:

Personally, I think players like technology and such more than other categories of mods. It's more practical and usable. Rather than the whole thing being based on magic or something that just basically makes people with lots of things more overpowered, it would be a better idea to have a non-pvp tech server with an active quantity of events/incentives to play. 

Not to mention lots of people not being able to run large packs like FTB or Skyfactory anyway ( like me ). Tekkit is the only server I've ever staffed on because it doesn't totally tank your fps or processing speed, which is why it's the only server I've spent more than 15 minutes not on a loading screen with. 

Thats just a practical suggestion, mainly to open the market of people to virtually everyone, not just people with modern, higher end computers.

Yes, I think we do need to take this into account, but it was also a reason why RR3 was selected as an option. It sort of has something for everyone, like a 'catch all' pack- however I don't know how resource intensive it is.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Archived