[Sky Factory] Server wipe maybe?

Timur

If my memory serve good today is exactly 1 year and 8 month since last wipe :) Congratulation on that!
As DragonLady said above, server is in good shape and there is no technical reason for wipe. The only reason can be as QuartzWitch said : 'I do not want to start off in last place.' But wipe does not help here, it only punishes players with some progression already done. New players join everyday and SoullessSushi observed well that there is always someone who is starting off last and above argument actually means: 'I want to start of in first place'.
Still the fact is when some players advance a lot with their island they lose motivation to play. For those players there is option as Voodoo say to restart island and start from scratch. But that decision is not easy to make for many so they just stop playing. Let me tell you my experience regarding this.
I had my island where I played solo and I wanted to play in team from beginning but was not willing to lose my island. So I created alt account and teamed with others to start new island. On this island we progressed really well, and after some time I did not know what to do anymore on that island. Also my team mates lost interest and practically left the server. This second island was much more advanced then the one I had when playing solo so it was much easier to delete original island and restart again. Then some other player asked me to join his island and I did but only with /is trust not /is invite. After few month of play other player again lost interest playing because we advanced on island. So I see that it is very hard to delete your advanced island for me and for other player too. I solved that problem by joining other islands with /is trust to play there so I do not lose my island. I also created alternate account that way I am able to start/restart island without without loosing my advanced island. So I understand why someone want wipe and force all players to restart because they are unable/unwilling to restart their own island. There are also players who do not have problem restarting island, for example I know Timur did restart his island few times and each of his island was more advanced then any of my :P
In my opinion server should wipe only when/if it have real technical problem which is not case at this moment. Wipe without real reason will just unnecessary upset lot of player that still have motivation to play, especially newcomers to server and those who are still learning modpack.

Not really, I also agree with the arguments here in favor of wipe https://forum.craftersland.net/topic/23419-possibly-a-server-wipe/?tab=comments#comment-123077

Additionally I don't feel like joining an old server because the wipe might be right around the corner, I'd rather join towards the beginning so my stuff doesn't get deleted when I'm in the middle of something.  Unless the server has a guarantee its gonna be up for a certain amount of time.  Which this one doesnt.

There are 4 arguments in the post you linked. 

1. Lag issues

2. Lack of space for new players.

3. No mob spawns

4. Player reaching end game and getting bored.

Let's start with the first one, SF doesn't have problems with lag, and if it does it's only for a few minutes and then there are no more problems for hours.

Second one. There's no world border on SF, which means there's an infinite amount of islands left. We don't have to worry about having no space for new islands.

Third point. Hostile mobs will only spawn if you have a big enough island with a dark room(better eith cursed earth), or a big spot of grass for passive mobs(which is logical). This will always be the case, so a wipe won't fix this. We also got Draconic Evolution so we can use spawners from that mod.

Forth and last argument. SF is quite an easy modpack, so reaching end game won't take super long. Still, some people take ages to complete the modpack and others are done in 1-2 weeks. The nice part about SF is that you can reset your island whenever you want, so if a player gets bored, they can reset their island and start over. Or, they can do the same as Lancelot, which is joining someone elses island using /is trust.

All the arguments from that topic don't apply to SF, since we don't have the problems like they have on DW20.

This means you can't use it as a reason for a wipe on SF.

-Dragon

Here are the points you have hidden:  (from the linked thread DragonLady summarized)

"This would give everyone the chance to get a nice spot on the map and try new strategies. It might also fix the economy and market prices so that people don't get to end-game in a few days. All this will probably get new people to the server so the player base rises back to what it was before the 1.10 server came out.

I personally think a wipe would be good. It would encourage players to come to the server again because they have things to do again. And make it less boring for the people that are "done" with their base. One of the reasons a lot of bases are abandoned is because the owner was "done" with his/her base and doesn't know what else to do anymore, because there is no challenge anymore."

"Some of the players haven't played in awhile because they have nothing else to do. They have reached top tier items and more. A wipe would make them restart and maybe have more players and more fun and maybe attract some new players."

I have the suspicion that although new players come they don't stick around after they realize the amount of time passed has made a negative effect: broken eco and bored endgame players.  You just don't feel like you are on the same page.  It's how I felt when I last joined, people were dumping free goods on me and there wasn't any spirit to progress.  It's one of the reasons lots of mmos have seasons, so the players get a new restart.  Most players won't quit on their own and delete their work, but if it comes naturally they might want to restart, especially if 100 other players are doing the same.

"This would give everyone the chance to get a nice spot on the map and try new strategies. It might also fix the economy and market prices so that people don't get to end-game in a few days. All this will probably get new people to the server so the player base rises back to what it was before the 1.10 server came out. "

Everyone gets a dirt block and a tree as a staring area so, that's the only spot on the map and if they want new strategies they can reset their island. It takes more than a wipe to fix the economy, it will be stable for a couple days yeah, but after that it will reverse, so until we can permanently fix it, that is not a reason to wipe. The start of dw20 1.10 didn't affect SF as it did with dw20 1.7, the playerbase is high.

" I personally think a wipe would be good. It would encourage players to come to the server again because they have things to do again. And make it less boring for the people that are "done" with their base. One of the reasons a lot of bases are abandoned is because the owner was "done" with his/her base and doesn't know what else to do anymore, because there is no challenge anymore. "

Considering you don't play on the server your personal opinion isn't as important as it would've been if you know how things worked on SF. Again people can abandon their bases as much as they want, it's an infinite map and unless they find starting from a server WIPE much more challenging than starting from an island WIPE, there still won't be a challenge.

"Some of the players haven't played in awhile because they have nothing else to do. They have reached top tier items and more. A wipe would make them restart and maybe have more players and more fun and maybe attract some new players.

I have the suspicion that although new players come they don't stick around after they realize the amount of time passed has made a negative effect: broken eco and bored endgame players.  You just don't feel like you are on the same page.  It's how I felt when I last joined, people were dumping free goods on me and there wasn't any spirit to progress.  It's one of the reasons lots of mmos have seasons, so the players get a new restart.  Most players won't quit on their own and delete their work, but if it comes naturally they might want to restart, especially if 100 other players are doing the same."

The points I made above apply here too, because it's pretty much the same idea, except the seasons. Yeah they have seasons, but at the same time they have seasonal rewards they have something that make the players wait for the next season, we don't and I see no way in which we can incorporate it at the moment.

On SF there is no "nice spot" to start, since you start with 1 dirt block and a tree. You expand as you go and you can change the biome if you don't like it. You decide what you do, so I have no idea why you're talking about getting a nice spot. About the strategies, if you dont like the way you did something you can 1. remove it and do something else, or 2. Restart your island if it's a huge failure and you really think you should re-do it.

A wipe wouldn't help with people who are bored in SF, since they'll reach end-game in no time and get bored again. We can't have a wipe every 2 months. The fact that there are abandoned bases doesn't matter either, since they aren't loaded and they're not taking away any space for new players.

You don't need a wipe to start over, since you can just restart your island. You can do this as many times as you want and you won't bother other people.

I do agree about the economy, but since we have Magic Crops and RFTools, it's really easy to get a lot of resources really quick, which means the economy would be ruined again in no time. Plus, you don't have to buy items in the market or via auction if you don't like it. We're not forcing you to.

I also agree with this guy's reasons, he suggests a wipe too.  https://forum.craftersland.net/topic/23013-a-few-suggestions/ If one of the main incentives is getting money, and the economy is ruined, then we could use normal wipes to return this interest.  This is the least can be done if we can ignore the other problems.  There isn't an issue having a way to start from nothing (we know well enough we can make a new island or destroy the base), it's to bring the fun back and part is the eco.

31 minutes ago, Skilande_ said:

Considering you don't play on the server your personal opinion isn't as important as it would've been if you know how things worked on SF.

This guy wggun has been playing on SF since SF1, and he agrees there should be a wipe and other changes, he also says there are less players now in his post.  Considering that sentence is from the quoted thread, it's not about my opinion at all.

Here is the text from wggun lest it become misconstrued:

"Hello everyone, my name is Will or Wggun, ive played this server since SF1, and i really like craftersland. I have a few suggestions to make the server better.

#1 Update to Sky Factory 3 : I've asked about it in discord and the staff say after DireWolf20 pack so hopefully you can get that done so we can see a craftersland SF3. And if you don't have any interest in doing that, Why not give the server a wipe. Its been over a year and the playerbase is 1-10. A wipe would encourage players to come on daily to try and gain the best island (level). I have played on craftersland since SF1 and i know how the playerbase can change. During SF1 it was a constant 30+ players considering the modpack just came out. During the next wipe it was very populated. I want to see the SF3 update, or a wipe.

#3 Emphasise an end goal : In sky factory you can basically do whatever you want, it would be nice to have an end goal. In infinity evolved it forces you to go through most mods to progress, unlike in sky factory where you can reach end game in a few days. After you've reached end game the server lacks in stuff to do (which is the main reason you can see me here, then not here.) I feel like this is one of the main reasons why people dont stay on. (thanks to Fatal for this idea)

#4 Better community : The community for SF2 (players and staff) isnt very good. On other servers people have played them for years and still are playing now, on SF I dont remember anyone from SF1 back 3 years ago. I think the community should be looked after more.

#5 The Economy : I think the economy is really messed up you can buy a full inventory of diamond blocks for like 10$.. It should be removed so new players dont get setup in 10minutes. Make a restirction of how much an item can be sold for, and how much they are selling Also add selling things in the shop

#6 The chat filter : the chat filter is very buggy. one glitch is that you cant say an island... I realise the problem, but that really it has to be fixed

Thank you for looking at my suggestions please DM me if you have any questions."

I see only one reason to wipe SF2.5 - ECONOMY.

I would be fine with a wipe, I can start over - no big deal. BUT  I don't see the point of one, we have had the server running for almost 1year and 9months(give or take) and the normal reason for a wipe is that the server goes to the point of no return when it's regarding lag... well... SF2.5 doesn't- It seems to be a very stable pack and is probably one of our most stable servers. Given sure, there are a few crashes a day due to overflowing entities, but we can't do much to combat that other than clear entities more often. Other than that the TPS is always at 20. 

" There is nowhere left to build... " It's a void world. It's infinitely large- You done with your island and bored? Well restart yourself. The only difference a wipe would make it to force everyone back to the same playing field and especially in economy. However SF2.5 is so quick to get thru so we would be where we are within days. 

As for those points... 

#1- We're working on it. Modpacks servers take a long while to make, heck look at dw1.10, it took 6 months.

#"3"- Well, that is how the modpack is- there is not really alot we can do about it here. We did what we can do add ingame quests to keep your busy even at endgame. 

#4- It's not? Skyfactory probably has the best community - and in my opinion; Staff team - that there is all over Craftersland.

#5- Yes, as stated this could be a problem, and there is no other way to fix it than to wipe the server. Cause people wouldn't be happy if we did an " economy wipe " of sorts. But my points are also that we will be back to where we were within days as the progression on SF2.5 is so rapid- as you also stated.

#6- Yes, chat filter. I don't have anything to say about it- it makes staff's work easier to enforce rule 7 and I really wish it was on every server.

As a response to @Wggun post, quoted by @QuartzWitch

Now, I don't see any point why this concerns you QuartzWitch, I get that perhaps you want the best for Craftersland- but as far as I know you don't even play Skyfactory, so you don't quite know it best. 

@QuartzWitch I've never seen you online on the SF2 server.  Why do you even care?

Sure maybe the DW server needs a restart, but the SF2 community is quite happy with the current situation.

No need for a server wipe when nobody is bothered about a tiny little issue of currency.  

I hate to imagine how people who play single player live without an economy. 

As most of the SF2 staff have had their own input here, and everyone's leaning towards a 'why does this thread even exist' mindset, i ask

why does this thread even exist. :P  Sure we're all entitled to our opinions, but there is no issues with the SF2 server as of this moment, and i don't see any upcoming issues that would warrant a restart. 

That's my 2 cents on this anyway. 

• Founder

I have only 1 major issue, because the server didn't get a wipe for so much time, the islands world is 12GB in size, and all of it in a ram drive, in order to make room for SkyFactory 3 server I need to get it to less then 10GB, to do that I have 2 options:

1. WIPE
  2. Removed old region files to reduce world size.

So I think the best option is to remove old region files as the server runs stable most of the time and WIPE is not really a must. Ok with second option? So we can start working on SF 3

Archived