Favorite History Topic?

TaraBites

I'm currently a history major :) (Thinking of switching to English, though, with a minor in History, instead of vice versa). I wanted to see what you guys enjoy in World History. Favorite moment, favorite god/goddess, anything having to do with all of history :D This should be a fun topic!

Indeed it WILL be a fun topic!

Well for me it's the wars really,civil wars,world wars,leaders back in the day,etc...I find it interesting to learn about kings's lifes,what role each country had in wars,and mostly everything related to that!

I also am currently learning about the history of my own country,Romania,our most important land and monuments,how we helped in the war and stuff like that!

My favorite bits of history are related to science, and literature, or a combination of the two. For example, how scirlence fiction magazines changed literature, or the interesting bits in how we landed a rocket to the moon, and the races and events leading to it, or things about the early history of atomics. Stuff like that.

12 minutes ago, FreeFallFTW said:

Indeed it WILL be a fun topic!

Well for me it's the wars really,civil wars,world wars,leaders back in the day,etc...I find it interesting to learn about kings's lifes,what role each country had in wars,and mostly everything related to that!

I also am currently learning about the history of my own country,Romania,our most important land and monuments,how we helped in the war and stuff like that!

the things leading up to the wars are quite interesting. politics suck, but it's still super interesting. i did a class on roman history and it was a lot of fun! i remember learning american history and how there was so much I actually didn't know. like, the native americans went through so much shit and we still dont appreciate them like we should :( I hope you enjoy your homeland history class :D

3 minutes ago, quagma said:

My favorite bits of history are related to science, and literature, or a combination of the two. For example, how scirlence fiction magazines changed literature, or the interesting bits in how we landed a rocket to the moon, and the races and events leading to it, or things about the early history of atomics. Stuff like that.

science is super cool. my associate's degree is in science. art affects literature too, and society affects art and literature. it's all one big circle of influence. atomics...you mean like bombs?

You could say I'm a huge history fan. I like anything from WW2 and WW1 to the golden age of piracy, medieval ages, early civilzations, romans, greeks, egyptians etc.

Edit: lol btw nice video yusixs I watched that one hahah have you seen the ytps for it they're amazing

1 hour ago, TaraBites said:

Science is super cool. my associate's degree is in science. art affects literature too, and society affects art and literature. it's all one big circle of influence. atomics...you mean like bombs?

Nuclear science isn't just about the bombs. There's stuff like molten salt reactors, x-rays, astronomy, the use of radioactive stuff in our daily lives, that one brief moment in time when they tried putting radium in everything... Stuff like that.

23 minutes ago, quagma said:

Nuclear science isn't just about the bombs. There's stuff like molten salt reactors, x-rays, astronomy, the use of radioactive stuff in our daily lives, that one brief moment in time when they tried putting radium in everything... Stuff like that.

it's sad how we used to poison ourselves decades ago cuz we thought it was good for us. now, people have lost teeth, organs have failed, and people have even died cuz of it. but as long as we learn from history, we shouldn't be doomed to repeat it :)

1 hour ago, Yusixs said:

this video is funny

1 hour ago, SuperSlimesKing said:

You could say I'm a huge history fan. I like anything from WW2 and WW1 to the golden age of piracy, medieval ages, early civilzations, romans, greeks, egyptians etc.

Edit: lol btw nice video yusixs I watched that one hahah have you seen the ytps for it they're amazing

i absolutely love learning about past civilizations and how advanced they were for their time! it's so freaking cool.

1 hour ago, akaElite said:

I like WW2 as well, also the cold war. Cold War wasn't an actual war though, but it qualifies ;) 

what specifically? :)

World war 2, hands down. and to be more specific about it: German unit tactics (aviation, infantry and tanks), aviation (development of certain types of aircraft, mostly german side) and mayor events: battle of kurks, battle of stalingrad, battle of moscow, battle of leningrad, operation 'bodenplatte', operation 'fall blau', battle of midway and many other

On 6/4/2018 at 11:12 PM, TaraBites said:

but as long as we learn from history, we shouldn't be doomed to repeat it :)

The trouble is we do not learn from history :(

In past we were putting Radium into everything because it was glowing, made poisoned hats, powdered DDT (pesticide) on everything ... We are still doing some very stupid things like pluting drinking water, making air unbreadable in some cases, causing extinction of lot of living species, changing wolds climate, destroying protective layer of ozone, consuming limited non-renewable resources without any check ...

Currently i am most worried about contaminating the whole world food supply with GMO food. We surely do not know enough to make any claim that it is safe, yet you can not effectively avoid consuming GMO plants or animal that eat those plants.

To change a tone of my post a little: For me interesting part of history is how civilization comes and goes. During history there were some very powerful nations/states/civilization (whatever you call them) some that lasted few decades (well we actually do not learn about those short living powers), some hundreds of years, some over thousand, yet eventually all of them got replaced with some new superpower.

We need to realize that in 20-100 years our present will also be history and future people will talk about how stupidly we behaved and did some unreasonable things.

1 hour ago, Lancelot said:

The trouble is we do not learn from history :(

In past we were putting Radium into everything because it was glowing, made poisoned hats, powdered DDT (pesticide) on everything ... We are still doing some very stupid things like pluting drinking water, making air unbreadable in some cases, causing extinction of lot of living species, changing wolds climate, destroying protective layer of ozone, consuming limited non-renewable resources without any check ...

Currently i am most worried about contaminating the whole world food supply with GMO food. We surely do not know enough to make any claim that it is safe, yet you can not effectively avoid consuming GMO plants or animal that eat those plants.

To change a tone of my post a little: For me interesting part of history is how civilization comes and goes. During history there were some very powerful nations/states/civilization (whatever you call them) some that lasted few decades (well we actually do not learn about those short living powers), some hundreds of years, some over thousand, yet eventually all of them got replaced with some new superpower.

We need to realize that in 20-100 years our present will also be history and future people will talk about how stupidly we behaved and did some unreasonable things.

I agree with you there on the polluting everything comment. I do hope we learn soon and stop denying climate change because of all our pollutants

• 4 weeks later...

World War 2; especially from the German standpoint.  So much was learned from their accomplishments both good and bad.  If you think about it, we wouldn't know a lot or have advanced as fast as where we are today if it wasn't for the advancements made by the Germans such as Jets and Rockets, Weapons, even Medical Sciences.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived